Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that annoys me with the CLA is after all the gadgets and gizmos, the monitor is not touch screen. I have a 2017 CLA 250 4matic sport.

So i was wondering if anyone has upgraded their monitor to a touchscreen like here: Amazon.com: 10.25" Round Corner 1920x720 Resolution Blu-ray HD Car Touch Screen for Mercedes Benz GLA CLA A Class X156 C117 2016-2018 NTG5.0 Car System Navigation Stereo Radio: Automotive

If you have, any issues?

if you havent, do you know of any issues or concerns?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
There are a few owners that have done it. Do a search. I also was one of the first to explore aftermarket systems in my 2014 a few years ago. I have a long write up on it somewhere.

While the screens are better than the one i had it's not a perfect integration. You will also suffer in sound quality when running off the display screen since the sound output is run through auxillary. In my opinion it's a decent upgrade but no where near perfect and it sort of operates out side of Mercedes stock NTG system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you elaborate on the sound quality?

Like say sirius XM vs iphone. One is plugged in other is satelite.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Sound quality through AUX deterioates. It's normally not as loud/clear and sometimes there is some noise/feedback. I even bought high end cables and wasn't able to completely rid of the slight buzzing/humming noise.

Also the interface for those units are also sometimes buggy. IT's not bad for the price. Just do a quick youtube search and you can see some people who have instaled these systems

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
More regrets than joy with those aftermarkets it seems from the many previous threads ... have not seen anything that is pnp and truly integrated and not bunch of wire hacks and interface compromises
Maybe some day there will be a decent solution

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just upgraded to a touchscreen but two generations newer than your link (Android 10.0).

So far its a bit of a hassle but it definitely looks good. I had a lot of skepticism at first about it being slow especially at boot but when the tablet boots up it immediately launches COMAND while Android boots in the background.

I have absolutely no sound quality deterioration, all the audio is funneled through USB AUX with multiple levels of interference prevention mechanisms (metal box, filter connection cable). It sounds almost just as good as before but obviously the terrible DAC would mean that the audio isn't "perfect". Also the software does some audio processing too which you can make it sound just as good as the H/K system with Logic7 enabled.

Overall, I would pick a newer generation model with a Qualcomm chip. I will be making a ton of videos on it the next few days (Android 10 version) which shows how different it is now compared to the first generations.

Reactions: nyc_renegade

·
Registered
43 Posts
So this is aa and cp yes?
UI pretty smooth?
It’s Android, CP isn’t that smooth because it’s running on Wifi and Bluetooth but you can run pretty much any app on the play store

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Well these will get better with time and firmware updates

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well these will get better with time and firmware updates
Hopefully, but as far as I know, I'll probably have to improve it myself by writing a few app modules for the tablet that makes the car experience a bit better.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Well Android auto on the new MBUX also kinda sucks. It doesn't even have full screen support and the touch pad doesn't work. Only touch screen. Lame

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Yoshi and the rest of us pioneers will remember the promise of carplay for the 2014s and a factory retrofit kit even ... well it has been >6 years and still no go
Guess (really) good firmware and software groups are not part of the teams at benz ... kinda surprising

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Good point ... the oem head units do ... and work quite well

·
Registered
2014 CLA 250
1 Posts
I just upgraded to a touchscreen but two generations newer than your link (Android 10.0).

So far its a bit of a hassle but it definitely looks good. I had a lot of skepticism at first about it being slow especially at boot but when the tablet boots up it immediately launches COMAND while Android boots in the background.

I have absolutely no sound quality deterioration, all the audio is funneled through USB AUX with multiple levels of interference prevention mechanisms (metal box, filter connection cable). It sounds almost just as good as before but obviously the terrible DAC would mean that the audio isn't "perfect". Also the software does some audio processing too which you can make it sound just as good as the H/K system with Logic7 enabled.

Overall, I would pick a newer generation model with a Qualcomm chip. I will be making a ton of videos on it the next few days (Android 10 version) which shows how different it is now compared to the first generations.

View attachment 65714 View attachment 65715
Hello, So I bought and installed a touchscreen just like this one and I cannot get the audio to work. I have tried all the aux options in the instructions and still no success! Do you have any suggestions or remedies to fix?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed a 10 inch android screen on my old cla 250- actually I had a professional install it. It was a great screen and all but the interference was annoying and there was some humming. Also there was an echo when making calls.
On my current cla45 I would never make that mistake again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed a 10 inch android screen on my old cla 250- actually I had a professional install it. It was a great screen and all but the interference was annoying and there was some humming. Also there was an echo when making calls.
On my current cla45 I would never make that mistake again.
The problem was that you didn't install it yourself. There are modules that eliminate feedback and actually make it much better sounding.

I don't regret my screen install but I've done my research and due diligence on these screens. Old, or cheap screens tend to be worse, it's slow, low quality and just overall a bad experience.

You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts