Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite some time, many of us in this Forum have been discussing the lack of a standard feature Rear View Camera in the CLA and the pricey requirement to purchase both the Premium Package and the Multimedia Package. The link below is an interesting article that sheds some light on the proposed new regulation to mandate that all new cars in the USA have the rear view camera. The article won't be good news those of you that were holding off on purchasing a CLA until the camera is included in the base specifications.

DOT, safety advocates feud over rear-view camera recommendation - CNN.com

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom line is that CLA buyers that want a rear view camera but either can't afford or don't want the Premium and Multimedia package need to start aggressively exploring the OEM marketplace for add-on cameras that can integrate with the built-in screen and onboard telematics. There are OEM cameras that integrate with other MB models, there will probably be one available for the CLA fairly soon, if not already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nevertheless, a rear view camera should be a standard... this is the big dislike on the new CLA. Vehicles that costs less, let alone non-highline or non-luxury, have rear cameras standard across the board. At a minimum, it should have been an a la carte option.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nevertheless, a rear view camera should be a standard... this is the big dislike on the new CLA. Vehicles that costs less, let alone non-highline or non-luxury, have rear cameras standard across the board. At a minimum, it should have been an a la carte option.
Can't argue with anything you said, C117AMG. But the reality is that it is not standard and does require very expensive packages. The same could be said for Keyless Go and some other features that we have discussed in the forum. The best we can do for 2014 is look for the OEM market to fill the gap with a nice camera kit that integrates seamlessly.

Anybody that finds a great OEM rear view camera solution, please SHOUT OUT!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Cameras were not available for my '07 bimmer. Go to some of the BMW boards to find one. I did have one added, and it works as well as my wife's stock Lex. I don't remember the cost, but I think it may have been about $800 total.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cameras were not available for my '07 bimmer. Go to some of the BMW boards to find one. I did have one added, and it works as well as my wife's stock Lex. I don't remember the cost, but I think it may have been about $800 total.
$800! Maybe back in '07. Check amazon, there are hundreds of options from $20-$200...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just do not get the parents suing over their mistakes.. I am sad for the loss of their kids, but it is not the government's fault.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A back up camera would have been a nice option at a lower add on price or standard. It is difficult to see backing the car up through the rear window!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts