Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Newbee here, looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve a vibration problem I get when driving.
The car is a 2014, CLA 220 CDi (AMG) with approx 73k miles.

Motorway speeds here in the UK is 70mph, however when I reach 65mph and/or above, I start to feel a vibration from the car.

All the tyres showed signs of uneven wear and the garage said the front left wheel was buckled.
I changed the wheel for a used one but was assured from the seller the wheel was true. New Continental tyres were fitted to the front, new brake pads and discs (rotors) were fitted to the front and the wheel alignment was reset, but still experience a vibration at speed.Garage said the bushes look fine.

Has anyone else experienced this or recommend a solution?

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
What is the speed range of issue?
Can you estimate the vibration frequency?
Some phone apps on nvh can help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speed range is between 65mph upwards
Vibration was initially constant, but now seems to fade a bit then return, fade then and so on.

Not sure what nvh means?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If even one wheel is unbalanced you will get road vibration, so I would check all the wheels for balance.
Was the garage you mentioned above a MB Dealer?
Has your CLA been involved in a smash...what caused the wheel "buckle?"

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
as Geo noted it could be wheel balance ... all it takes is 1 to be funny and the car shakes
based on the tire rotation rate if it is wheel related then for 65mph+ the vibration will be around 15hz
hence my query about the frequency estimate
nvh is noise vibration harshness and there are some phone apps that can help estimate the vibration signatures
other causes include engine mounts, drive shafts, etc ...

·
Registered
139 Posts
uv joint on drive shafts maybe, but no way of checking apart from getting underneath and having a good wiggle

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
actually bosch developed an app a while back to use frequency analysis to pick out all sorts of vibration culprits cuz each has a signature based not just on rotation rate but also material resonance and mechanical coupling (or damping)
interesting research
think it was an android app
though agree it is good to raise the chassis and start poking around ... might just be something loose or dinged

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If even one wheel is unbalanced you will get road vibration, so I would check all the wheels for balance.
Was the garage you mentioned above a MB Dealer?
Has your CLA been involved in a smash...what caused the wheel "buckle?"
Hi

The car went in to the local MB dealer some time back for a safety recall, something to do with the possibility of the steering wheel air bag deploying unexpectedly. They also did other recalls at the same time and fitted a Me app (black box fitted in to the diagnostic port). No sure if this would record any fault codes etc or not.

The car has also been in to a MB Aftermarket dealer who diagnosed the buckled wheel, the roads here in Aberdeen Scotland are of poor quality, and there are pot holes everywhere.

I got the wheel realigned, but it seemed worse than before.

A friend who I worked with when we were both at a MB truck dealership set up his own non franchised MB workshop had a look at the car for a second opinion, and they said the same about the buckled wheel. The wheel was change for a used one and the seller confirmed it was a true circle and not damaged, he bought it as a spare.

The garage did the wheel alignment after having the buckled wheel replaced, new brake pads/discs fitted and two front tyres fitted, but the issue is still there. I will change the rear tyres hopefully this weekend and see if there is any change.

I live close to work so the car only does a few miles a day to speed 30 mph, so its only when I travel further at speed this issue presents itself.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
GCL,
Wheel balancing is a operation taking into account the various weights around the entire tire and it's rim and compensating for the unevenness by adding weights to make it perfectly balanced.
It is important, as you point out that the rim be perfectly round, but that doesn't mean that it is also balanced when fitted with a tire,
Likewise the front end alignment which you had performed does necessarily include wheel balancing.
If the vibration issue began with the replacement wheel, then it is your prime suspect for the root of the vibration.
Was your CLA involved in a front end collision?
What caused the wheel buckle and how would you describe "buckle?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vibration began with the original wheel and continues with the replacement wheel
As far as I am aware the car has not been involved in a front end crash

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Likewise the front end alignment which you had performed does not necessarily include wheel balancing.
If the vibration issue began with the replacement wheel, then it is your prime suspect for the root of the vibration.
This corrects the sentence beginning with "Likewise."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts