Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
All they did was take a recording of the A45 AMG and play the sound to a video of the CLA250. Nice try by motor authority, but it doesn't translate well. At one point it looks like they sped up the video of a CLA cornering so it would match the sound of the A45 AMG.

I applaud them for the attempt, but it's not a good video.

·
Registered
730 Posts
What are other "good" sounding 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo engines (ie. Subaru, Mitsubishi, Audi, VW, BMW, Cadillac, etc)? :confused:

Only late-model 4'bangers that I can recall sounding particularly nice were the the Toyota MR2-Spyder :)o), Honda S2000... though, both being NA! :eek:

I really don't have any intentions to mod' the CLA in terms of bolt'ons, other than cosmetics. But, plans can change- ha! :p

I'm sure a flow-tested/optimized after-market exhaust system would improve the sound on the CLA250, and likely also unleash some ponies for sure. Coupled w/ an ECU/reflash, lotsa potential for sure... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually like the sound of the Fiat Abarth. It's a noisy little sucker and you can here a lot of the turbo in the exhaust :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I actually like the sound of the Fiat Abarth. It's a noisy little sucker and you can here a lot of the turbo in the exhaust :)
I was trying to remember the power-plant info for the Fiat 500 (and derivatives). Likewise for the late-model Mini models. Both are fairly small 4's, FWIRC.

There's a Fiat dealership not too far-off, may have to trek down there sometime to take a looksy... :D

Surprisingly, the 1st gen Acura RDX w/ a 2.3L turbo sounded kinda/sorta good to me. Had a nice, low rumble that felt robust & refined.

The CLA's 4'banger will (presumably) sound more muscle than sport-bike I think, just going by the engine specs/traits.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yea, those little Abarths sound absolutely nasty. If you go test drive one, youll likely want one. They are so much fun, i just cant get anything smaller then my current GTI. Thats my limit.

Late model 4cyl with nice exhaust notes would be Dodge SRT-4, Mazdaspeed 3, and the Honda's are nice sounding engines with a good exhaust system.

The video going around of the A250 sounds pretty darn good as well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Late model 4cyl with nice exhaust notes would be Dodge SRT-4, Mazdaspeed 3...
Totally forgot about the little ol' Neon SRT-4s & MazdaSpeed3. I got a friend w/ the latter, Cobb-Tuning & all... it's a total pocket'rocket! And for the former, I rented one of those once- fun weekend! :D

Another extremely fun & interesting experience was a Brabus Smart-ForTwo rental... :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the article, i believe it is the genuine A45 AMG around the track (video and sound), they then use a standard CLA video (sped up at some points) purely for video, and play the CLA45 AMG note against that to compare the different engine sounds.

Looks like Merc sent only a sound recording in, and Motor Authority 'added' a video to the sound.

Interested in what it does sound like in the flesh.

We have a Vauxhall Astra VXR (Opel Astra OPC) in the family too, and it did come with a very nice sounding 2.0 4 Cylinder note. A new exhaust is now on it, and sounds a lot better. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts