Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, got up my determination to clean and polish my 18" AMG wheels. After 5 years, the glossy black wheels have become somewhat dulled in its look , due to probably brake dust and environmental fallout. Got out my detailing wheel brush (with bristles that are designed not to scratch paint) and the Meguiar's ultimate polish, washed my car, then went to work on the wheels. It was downright sweat and hand grease hard work, took about 1 hour to polish the 4 wheels, let the polish sit for about an hour to haze, then came back with a microfiber towel moistened with Optimum spray wax and wipe off the hazed wheels. Then final wipe down with a clean dry microfiber towel.
Of course it won't be showroom new, but it looks pretty good for a 5 year old wheel. Contented now. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Don't forget to upload a pic.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Nice work Mav! (y)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Silver alloy wheels are easier to maintain. Painted ones need to be polished regularly.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
I think Silver alloy wheels are easier to maintain. Painted ones need to be polished regularly.
The twin 5 spoke oems have a nice clear coat on them and since there are no sharp edges between the grey paint and machined sections they stayed shiny through the years just water cleaning ... ronal made those
And yeah i am quite surprised how well they have held up
So wonder if your black ones have a top clear on them?
Another member has issues with some form of clear top coat peeling off

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The twin 5 spoke oems have a nice clear coat on them and since there are no sharp edges between the grey paint and machined sections they stayed shiny through the years just water cleaning ... ronal made those
And yeah i am quite surprised how well they have held up
So wonder if your black ones have a top clear on them?
Another member has issues with some form of clear top coat peeling off
Yes my black 18” wheels have a top clear coat on them. So far the paint has held out well after 5 years. But just the paint had recently dulled to a point that I had to get the motivation to sweat it out to polish the wheels.

to be fair ,over the first couple of years , I had been trying to maintain the wheels with regular washing and applying chemicalGuys wheel wax. It didn’t really help with keeping the brake dust off but I think it has helped keep my wheel paint in fairly good condition.

I think the paint peeling has to do with the brake dust eating into the paint and eventually the paint degraded to a point where the paint started to peel off.

hence I am convinced that the wheel wax I applied was more about protecting the wheels than to keep it looking nice. The wax probably prevented the brake dust from binding (chemically) with the paint.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The twin 5 spoke oems have a nice clear coat on them and since there are no sharp edges between the grey paint and machined sections they stayed shiny through the years just water cleaning ...
Yes, the key is cleaning the wheels regularly, washing the brake dust off before it has time to attack the wheel clear coat.

Try not washing the wheels for months of usage, i think you will see that the silver alloy wheels will start to discolour and no amount of washing will remove it. the brake dust has chemically attacked the top coat and ate into the silver paint below.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Autoglyn Magma. If you haven't tried it before, it is hands down the best car cleaning product I have ever used. For the price, it does an absolutely incredible job at cleaning up iron particles that get caked on to the paintwork and rims. You can pick some up at Canadian Tire for under 20 bucks.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Interesting product name
MSDS is nominal I suppose for something that cooks of hydrochloric and phosgene
Color indication is a neat trick ... dont we all just love chemistry

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nextzett 97000515 Colortec Wheel Cleaner

This stuff does the same as autoglym Magma, and made in Germany.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Autoglyn Magma. If you haven't tried it before, it is hands down the best car cleaning product I have ever used. For the price, it does an absolutely incredible job at cleaning up iron particles that get caked on to the paintwork and rims. You can pick some up at Canadian Tire for under 20 bucks.
Its a good product. But for folks who wash their car regularly (weekly) and use sufficient shampoo to remove the brakedust with a wheel brush, there is no real need for such products.

The Magma product is great for folks who are negligent in taking care of their wheels.

I found that the following method not only cleans the wheels well, but also polish and protect the wheels at the same time

1. For heavily contaminted wheels, use a fairly concentrated shampoo solution with a wheel brush (or even a clay pad) and thoroughly "scrub" clean the wheels. If you use a clay pad, you will find your wheels to be nice and smooth after the cleaning.
  2. dry wheels with microfiber cloth
  3. Use a good cleaner wax (which has mild polishing effect), and using a clean wheel brush, "polish the wheels". Allow product to haze, then buff off. Now the painted wheels will look shiny new and protected with wax, that helps to keep the brake dust from binding permanently, making regular washing of the wheels really easy. Repeat cleaner wax treatment every 2-3 months, depending on durability of the wax.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
The wheel waxes work pretty well ... jet of water or air removes most dust residue
I have tried rimwax and this other green goop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts