Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a 2014 CLA45 AMG and wanted to ask about the check light cluster. Not so long ago, the dealership I brought my car into did an electrical check and for some reason the went in the lights (idk). The car was running fine until one day I saw some fog on my left headlight after a storm. I proceeded to go further and saw the cap of the headlight was detached from the locked position allowing water to get in. this caused, of course, the bulb to burn out of course. I placed some desiccant packets and got rid of all the moisture. Furthermore, I proceeded to replace the bulb with a new bulb but no light was coming out. I then swapped left and right bulbs and only the right one came on. My guide lights are working fine, my directionals as well. However, in my instrument cluster, I get like 5 warnings of Check left signal, check right signal, check left headlight, check right headlight, check left directional, check right directional... etc.
Has anyone experienced this before? if so what was the issue? ballast? any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks

Sberti5

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Not halogens as it's a 45 correct?
If that one bulb shorted perhaps check for a busted fuse, though you will need to look that up on the fuse chart from somewhere ... a couple posts on here had that so run a search
A burnt out wire is unlikely though a failed contact inside the connector is possible ... see if the metal contacts are clean and shiny.
If they are indeed HIDs then the ballast may have been damaged?
Wonder if someone opened up the headlight unit before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not halogens as it's a 45 correct?
If that one bulb shorted perhaps check for a busted fuse, though you will need to look that up on the fuse chart from somewhere ... a couple posts on here had that so run a search
A burnt out wire is unlikely though a failed contact inside the connector is possible ... see if the metal contacts are clean and shiny.
If they are indeed HIDs then the ballast may have been damaged?
Wonder if someone opened up the headlight unit before?
Thanks @jmc... So I do ha HIDs on this car. I looked at the Fuses and they were good. Now the question I have if it was a ballast problem. why would all the light warning for the right side (which works fine) start going off as well? I just don't want to have to take out the bumper prematurely without examining all my options. what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @jmc... So I do ha HIDs on this car. I looked at the Fuses and they were good. Now the question I have if it was a ballast problem. why would all the light warning for the right side (which works fine) start going off as well? I just don't want to have to take out the bumper prematurely without examining all my options. what are your thoughts?
I have this fault codes taken by the dealership on the SAM

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
The open circuit and short to ground notes are somewhat indicative
Since the new bulb doesnt fire then the ballast or its feed is next to check
Youre pretty sure all fuses look good? Do they check good as well? Sometimes visually they look fine but then no continuity ... hate those
Also looks like comms are busted for some reason but then thats a fried wire or bad connection point (from moisture or oxidation etc) and that would mean yanking the lamp out and tracing it
Sure looks like the water incursion and short out messed things up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue Solved!

So I demoted the bumper and changed the ballast... looked at fuses and everything but I noticed a burnt smell from the headlight. I changed the ballast, put a new bulb in and FINITO problem solved

Attachments

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Good! The short did kill the ballast but glad that was it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello

I maybe experiencing a similar problem.
my main beam don't work at all due to heavy rain, although
my indicators, daytime running light, and turning/direction light works fine.

what can i do to fix the problem beside running to the dealership.

do i have to get new headlights or check the ballast, put new bulbs ?

i have the advance automatic headlights led

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Check connectors ... sealed but sometimes moisture creates poor connections

1 - 9 of 9 Posts