Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a UK spec CLA220D estate and there rear right footwell fills up with water after any inevitable rainfall! It's only the rear footwell - none in the boot, nor the front (apart from when it was outside for 10 days in biblical rain where it flowed over the hump!)

It can only be rain as the car doesn't need to be running. I have sat inside with hosepipe running outside and cannot see any water flowing in. I haven't yet taken off the B pillar plastics but before I did as its a painful job - can anyone tell me where the water drains go from the pano sunroof?

Anyone else had this issue? I noticed someone else on here had identical issue but may not be on here anymore as I asked for their resolution but no answer.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Awww man that problem again
Perhaps pour a few oz of water on the left side pano seal and look for drain drips
Then repeat on the right side which will show if that drain path is indeed clogged

Either that or fully open the pano and air jet the hell out of the metal surround to clear any drain paths??

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I saw a few body ports underneath a while back
My guess is near the wheel wells
Though empirical check is the best ... watch for those drips

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all

I have a UK spec CLA220D estate and there rear right footwell fills up with water after any inevitable rainfall! It's only the rear footwell - none in the boot, nor the front (apart from when it was outside for 10 days in biblical rain where it flowed over the hump!)

It can only be rain as the car doesn't need to be running. I have sat inside with hosepipe running outside and cannot see any water flowing in. I haven't yet taken off the B pillar plastics but before I did as its a painful job - can anyone tell me where the water drains go from the pano sunroof?

Anyone else had this issue? I noticed someone else on here had identical issue but may not be on here anymore as I asked for their resolution but no answer.

Thanks
I saw a few body ports underneath a while back
My guess is near the wheel wells
Though empirical check is the best ... watch for those drips
Sorry no advice, I have cla 220 amg sport 2016, from a main dealer, booked it in for 30th November 2020, only had the car since January 2020, will be having diagnostic done and to see if its covered with warranty (probably not), best car we've bought well thought so until this problem, devastated, same problem both rear footwells saturated can't see how its getting in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I have a resolve:

Many people have suggested that the rear vent flaps don't seal very well and with the water from the roof tracking down inside the boot lid, around the light cluster then sits on top of these flaps and tracks inside the bodywork of the car. These are less than £10 each for genuine parts - not worth eBaying as they're more expensive! You'll need to take off the bumper, find these either side, pop out the old ones then run some sealant (I used Sikaflex as silicone just isn't up to the job) around the rubber seal and push in.

However, as I took them out, there's no sign of water anywhere near mine. I replaced them anyway, duly sealed just in case for the future. BUT, while the bumper was off, I notices the sealant around the tow bar bracket clearly wasn't doing the job!. I took out the tow bar, cleaned up the silicone completely and refitted using Sikaflex (marine sealant). There was a lot of water inside these tubes so I have no other concerns and that this was the sole issue!.

Good luck anyone else that has this issue. It's taken me ages to find and even longer to dry out the dense under-carpet foam!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Wow
Leaking from all the way back there?
Though looks like the tow section hardware is pretty low and surprised water would run forward from there ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, so I have a resolve:

Many people have suggested that the rear vent flaps don't seal very well and with the water from the roof tracking down inside the boot lid, around the light cluster then sits on top of these flaps and tracks inside the bodywork of the car. These are less than £10 each for genuine parts - not worth eBaying as they're more expensive! You'll need to take off the bumper, find these either side, pop out the old ones then run some sealant (I used Sikaflex as silicone just isn't up to the job) around the rubber seal and push in.

However, as I took them out, there's no sign of water anywhere near mine. I replaced them anyway, duly sealed just in case for the future. BUT, while the bumper was off, I notices the sealant around the tow bar bracket clearly wasn't doing the job!. I took out the tow bar, cleaned up the silicone completely and refitted using Sikaflex (marine sealant). There was a lot of water inside these tubes so I have no other concerns and that this was the sole issue!.

Good luck anyone else that has this issue. It's taken me ages to find and even longer to dry out the dense under-carpet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had mercedes look at it , it was badly fitted towbar , strength bars go through the chassis with no seal hence so does the water flooding the car . 20201201_132356.jpg 20201201_132443.jpg 20201201_132452.jpg 20201201_132517.jpg 20201201_132452~2.jpg 20201201_132436~3.jpg

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Oh wait a leaky second
It was the tow bar install which caused the leak?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah , up to now ok , got the car back yesterday ,Monday, been raining 🌧 all day, seems ok .hopefully this helps someone. 20201207_174703~2.jpg

Had towbar removed.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Surprised about this

Tow bar - Factory or aftermarket accessory?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aftermarket by reputable company that has been fitting towbars for a long time with great reviews, probably 1st CLA?,
Company paid for everything, carpets , replace towbar for original parts all sorted by mercedes

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Wow glad they stepped up
Guess now wait for a sunny day open everything and dry her up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah , they must have dried/ vacuumed the water from the chassis, there's no condensation in the cold mornings on the inside now :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had mercedes look at it , it was badly fitted towbar , strength bars go through the chassis with no seal hence so does the water flooding the car . View attachment 66784 View attachment 66785 View attachment 66786 View attachment 66787 View attachment 66788 View attachment 66789
Ok hi. So I have the same issue CLA200 shooting brake. Had a tow bar fitted in feb 2020 and first noticed the water is rear foot wells this summer. Is it not easy to seal the tow bar connections?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, if you can get the bumper off , yes its easy to seal , probably just some good sealant, we just decided not to tow with it now and had it put back together as original. We had our towbar fitted in June, the car started to smell so carpets were ruined .
Thanks this is really helpful, Had a tow bar fitted in feb then notIced the water in the summer and been trying to find out why ever since. 3cms or more sometimes in both foot wells but we thought it was windscreen drains. Tow bar company offered to seal but not solve the wet carpet which now has surface mould. Now I know what is causing it this is a huge help thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello , glad this helped, we've had a lot of rain since car was fitted with new carpets at merc, all paid for by towbar company , and no damp in the car and not steamed up anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts