Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And im frieking disappointed in a couple of things. First in Mercedes for not letting people in the cars. That bs! They are not bently! Got into many new high end cars, all the bmw, audi's, caddy etc. and that a7 btw is awesome!!! Could not get into one car!!

Next onto the CLA....i have to say and everyones different that it did not meet my expectations...there I said it!! I have been high on this car since the concept was shown in beijing last year. It reminded me of a Kia, felt cheap and plasticy, and the c300's that were on the floor seemed much better built. For whatever reason it did not feel like a benz, and both my buddies agreed.....btw...I said nothing to my buddies about the car when i was looking at it...and as we left benz my buddy looked at me, and said tell me your not buying that car! Thats when it hit me, and I said nope ;( honestly I damn near cried.....

chrome trim looked like something stuck on from pep boys, and the piece on the rear door is razor sharp.... The black plastic on the nose......again cheaply put together.....before i go on...im VERY familiar with the benz brand, i drive one now and love it....have been loyal and happy with benxMoving on....Do not like the carbon fiber trim piece below the doors on the AMG, looked stuck on and the only AMG ive ever looked at and went wtf are you kidding me!! One the cla this is the color of the car and i did not like it either...on both the AMG and the cla it just looks like an afterthought.....ok good stuf.... Stand back 10 feet and the car is HOT, smoking hot...Really looks sharp, love the lines and nose a lot. I actually like the rear a lot too. Car was getting a lot of attention, and so will you when u drive it this fall!! I like the nav placement and seats too, although there were many wrinkles in the rear seat center section...weird not sure why, but chaulk it up to a pre production model...

In my situation.....and this is my prediction.....the way i need the car would come in about 38k, and its fwd...a few months later the 4matic and then the AMG roll out...what happens to the value of my 38k fwd? Thats right plummets...and fast......ya ya I know all new cars are like that....but I feel like its gonna be a sharp drop.....esp having to pay msrp out the door....imho buy it stock or wait for the AMG..

.Lastly.....what I think really doesnt matter to anyone exp me, but just wanted to share......prob the first negitive nancy here, but calling it like I see it.... Ill be getting my $1000 deposit back, and move onto something else.... And I do have my $500 discount ;) I will keep my eye on the CLA, and drive one when they hit the dealers this fall.....understand like any new model there will be tweaks and improvements made and I really hope they do very well. Cheers!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
how did it feel cheap and plasticy if you couldnt get near them?
and secondly, yeh, its the cheapest car mercedes has ever made and the lowest of all their classes. youre expectations were too high.

regarding your last point. it only proves my point of not putting deposits down for something youve never seen in person. like you, i'll be waiting til september to drive a cla before making any determination regarding the amg.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was just at the Vancouver Auto show and there was no CLA, just a stupid hologram that you needed a tablet to see....

After looking at all the cars there, there are none I would really want to buy. Sigh.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Where are photos and videos of the defects? Please share.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the "diamond grill" is of course made of plastic and not everyone like. (I know what you mean)
I can speak only for myself, I could watch the cla intensively from the outside and from the inside, and he likes me much.
If anyone would like to detail photos, I can meet in the next that make.
our mercedes dealer got 5 cla
I think the car is properly processed, especially the interior makes a high quality impression, much better than bmw, audi or vw.
rice bowls by kia or similar, I do not speak ;)
cla1.png

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ummm, did I say in or near? ....I said in, right? I was able to get very close and touch one and spent about 20 minutes doing so.. They had it up on a elevated platform, probably 3 feet off the floor, and the doors were open...

My expectations were on par with the C300, explain how thats too high, equally equipped theres a couple grand difference.....again I drive a Benz, and was expecting a typical Benz.....what I saw disappointed me, you might be delighted, and I hope so..... and no I dont see any cheapness in any of the 60 videos Ive seen, but its not touching it... is it?

how did it feel cheap and plasticy if you couldnt get near them?
and secondly, yeh, its the cheapest car mercedes has ever made and the lowest of all their classes. youre expectations were too high.

regarding your last point. it only proves my point of not putting deposits down for something youve never seen in person. like you, i'll be waiting til september to drive a cla before making any determination regarding the amg.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are photos and videos of the defects? Please share.
Wish I took a pic, it was the chrome moulding at the base of the front drivers window...it was seperating toward the back of the car, I think I coulda tore it right off..The same piece on the back door was better, but had a razor shape edge. I suspect Benz will address these at some point...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ummm, did I say in or near? ....I said in, riiiiight? I was able to get very close and touch one and spent about 20 minutes doing so.. They had it up on a elevated platform, probably 3 feet off the floor, and the doors were open... Understand?

My expectations were on par with the C300, explain how thats too high, equally equipped theres a couple grand difference.....again I drive a Benz, and was expecting a typical Benz.....what I saw disappointed me, you might be delighted, and I hope so..... and no I dont see any cheapness in any of the 60 videos Ive seen, but its not touching it... is it?

So for now I know more about the CLA than you do, cause I took the time to see and touch it in person as soon as I could....and well you have your videos. ;) , also got an oppty to get 500 bucks off a new mercedes, CLA or otherwise...Paid for my guys weekend..if I go that route. And tell me the downside of a refundable $1000 deposit? Ya there is no downside...cheers
yes, congratulations for driving from new hampshire to see a car you will now not purchase.
extra points for driving to a dealer to put down money for a car you will now not own, cause like a child, you had to be the first to have it and rushed to put a deposit down.

again, either youre expectations were too high for a $29k mercedes, or you're simply exaggerating things as your main complaints center around trim pieces. if thats the biggest fault with the car, the car is clearly not as bad as you claim.

as for seeing the car first? again, a childish claim. i too will see it next weekend.
if you wanted to impress you should sit in and drive one. if touching a car is supposed to impress anyone then lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
in this photo by JoeyO you can see some errors, for example, you can see clearly that the parts above the headlights absolutely does not match.
This picture has taken JoeyO in New York City.
As a mist may not appear but at a trade show.who is as responsible?
Has Mercedes made arguably autoshow the cleaning lady to the boss?
such failures may not happen, not for a German manufacturer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:
the errors are NOT standard but

cla nyc.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
1.) be nice and polite!!!!!!! ;)
in Germany the following is written about this cla in new york:
"Preproduction (!!!!) :
AMG package Grill without silver pin,
levels with night package not in black and Talbot mirror triangles in shiny black...
The hats unfortunately not in the series. I found incomprehensible when the a-class."

the car is certainly in a bad state.
Airmousam, How did the CLA 45 because? is that also a bad impression on you made?

·
Registered
106 Posts
your post clearly needs no edits because its so readable. oh wait...
as for the A Class, yes thats the cheapest mercedes available to the rest of the world. the statement was poorly phrased as i dont take things that are not attainable here to thought.

as for name calling. what name calling?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Hans, that one looked really cool, but could not get as close to it as I could the CLA.. Loved the black wheels with the white! As I mentioned I think Benz will address the small stuff, that CLA has been around the block a few times. Im worried about resale on the CLA as the 4 matic and AMG come out. I get bored with cars quickly and usually only keep them 2 years, just just feel like it'll tank quick. Will for sure test drive the AMG when it comes out! From where I stood, it did not stand out head and shoulders above the CLA like I think an AMG should, and the carbon fiber bugged me some...again these cars will change from where they are today...bet on it.... Would have been nice if they rolled out the AMG first, then followed up with the others ;)

1.) be nice and polite!!!!!!! ;)
in Germany the following is written about this cla in new york:
"Preproduction (!!!!) :
AMG package Grill without silver pin,
levels with night package not in black and Talbot mirror triangles in shiny black...
The hats unfortunately not in the series. I found incomprehensible when the a-class."

the car is certainly in a bad state.
Airmousam, How did the CLA 45 because? is that also a bad impression on you made?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Let's stay on-topic, gents (and ladies if-applicable)! :cool:

I'm sure a lot of the trim/panel/etc stuff in terms of fitment can be attributed (hopefully) to being pre-production demo vehicles. From all that I've noted/observed (whether thru pics, vids, reviews, manufacturer materials, and anecdotal insight), the CLA should be well built & of quality, despite it's "entry-level Benz" stature & price-point. Obviously, materials & features as well as performance differ in higher strata offerings from MB, but the build-quality, fit & finish, and the like should still be there on the "baby Benz" for sure.

The fate of these pre-production demo vehicles is the crusher, for obvious reasons. If a dealer showroom demo had such shortcomings, then I'd personally be a bit more concerned! ;)

Reactions: Hans26

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Hans, that one looked really cool, but could not get as close to it as I could the CLA.. Loved the black wheels with the white! As I mentioned I think Benz will address the small stuff, that CLA has been around the block a few times. Im worried about resale on the CLA as the 4 matic and AMG come out. I get bored with cars quickly and usually only keep them 2 years, just just feel like it'll tank quick. Will for sure test drive the AMG when it comes out! From where I stood, it did not stand out head and shoulders above the CLA like I think an AMG should, and the carbon fiber bugged me some...again these cars will change from where they are today...bet on it.... Would have been nice if they rolled out the AMG first, then followed up with the others ;)
I could look at now more cla, inside and out.for me, the quality is top and the materials used make a high-quality and well processed impression.
(except for the plastik-Diamond-grille), which is not very nice for me
can I get my (39500,-€) cla in 2.5 weeks and am very happy

No need to buy a cla! Nobody ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
that pic of the headlamps was standard not bi-xenon. And Ofc everyone is gonna get bi-xenon. If you got a look at the bi-xenon ones you would be drooling.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All good points..if the car is already in production, why not send a few over for the biggest US show and its >1M visitors. Put em on the floor like the other manfs and give people access....dont understand...

Let's stay on-topic, gents (and ladies if-applicable)! :cool:

I'm sure a lot of the trim/panel/etc stuff in terms of fitment can be attributed (hopefully) to being pre-production demo vehicles. From all that I've noted/observed (whether thru pics, vids, reviews, manufacturer materials, and anecdotal insight), the CLA should be well built & of quality, despite it's "entry-level Benz" stature & price-point. Obviously, materials & features as well as performance differ in higher strata offerings from MB, but the build-quality, fit & finish, and the like should still be there on the "baby Benz" for sure.

The fate of these pre-production demo vehicles is the crusher, for obvious reasons. If a dealer showroom demo had such shortcomings, then I'd personally be a bit more concerned! ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Everyone calm the "F" down. Different people will have different opinions of the CLA. All comments and opinions are welcome on this board, but not insults.

Having said that, Airmousam, I suggest you withdraw your deposit, but wait and see the CLA at your own dealer. The cars at the auto shows have been around the circuit and may be a little damaged. I'm not saying the CLA will or won't be like you described in the auto show, but wait and see, then make up your mind.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts