381 - 400 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Rec 90 is news to me too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I decided it was up to me to test REC90 in my car and potentially wreck my motor for the greater good of the board.

Day One:
20170401_132308.jpg

Last Saturday I began testing by filling my tank with REC90. I was only half empty so this gave me a 50/50 ratio of REC90 to Shell Ultra Premium 93.
Monday, I filled another half tank. This brought me to a 25/75 mix of REC90 to UP93.
Finally yesterday I filled 3/4 of the tank with REC90 and now I can confidently say my car is running on 100% ethanol free gas.

So far in testing the car has felt more powerful and according to my fuelly app, I got my best mpg to date on yesterdays fill up at 29.6 mpg!
Not bad, especially considering it cost the same as regular premium fuel.

fuelly.PNG

I will continue to test and share my results.
If anyone wants to check my fuelly profile you can track my fill ups here:
Miami_CLA Fuelly Profile

Maybe other members can join me in testing it in their cars and confirm my results.
Maybe it's just a placebo effect. But it sure doesn't feel like it.

You can find if you have a local station that sales REC90 on this website:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Wish we had Efree gas here ... hate this EtOH crap varnishing everything. Them admin idiots need to go back and take baby school chem and grow beyond 10 iq ... good grief

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The station near my house just began supplying that type of gas. Looking forward to your results

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
I am going to quietly beat a dead octane laden horse yet again ..... :cool:

MT quote: "Dodge unveiled what it claims is the fastest muscle car ever: the 2018 Challenger SRT Demon with a devil of a kick -- 808 horsepower and 717 lb-ft of torque on 91 octane gas for the street and a ridiculous 840 hp and 770 lb-ft of torque on 100-plus high-octane race fuel for the track."

Now (at least for some of use who have tunes and piggies) it would be an interesting experiment to try the 95 and 100 octane varieties ... though experts like HG have noted our CLA250 M270's may not benefit from anything beyond 95 (I will buy that). I am pretty sure either the car's butt dyno will feel happier, or the overall gas mileage will go up.

Next before I run out and dump >$90 for some 95 ... perhaps some of our experienced "racers" can chime in on this query: get a bonafide tank of high octane fuel, or get one of those octane booster bottles?

(cuz if the net effect is the same I don't see why folks keep using expensive race fuel when a cheaper alternative exists?)

·
Registered
124 Posts
@jmc, your making a good argument against race fuel, I agree with you there.

But where does this pertain to REC90? Rec 90 is actually 90 octane fuel, compared to the 93 octane I get at Shell stations. So it's actually a lower octane number.
The difference is this gas has no added ethanol in it and therefore should not cause any of the carbon build up caused by ethanol. Which means longer running engines with less problems.
Also, from what I have read around the internet and from my own testing the REC90 increases fuel efficiency by about 3mpg (for me at least ) and I also feel the car pulling harder ("butt dyno" as you say).

The only arguments I seem to find against it anywhere is that in most places it seems to be more expensive than premium and the price premium out weigh the benefits.
However by my house it sells for the same cost as the premium fuel.

Here is some of the research I have found on other boards:

BMW Boards:
"Ethanol is not good on our cars"
Sunoco ethanol free Rec 90 vs. Shell V Power 91 with 10% ethanol? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Lexus Forum:
"Yes, you'll see better performance...usually gained an average of 1 - 3 mpg on freeway driving."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/675248-rec-90-fuel.html

Toyota Forum:
"Ethenol is cancer to engines"
rec 90 Marine Fuel For FJ - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Honda Forum:
"89 octane delivered better mileage, but REC 90 delivered the best. A highway run ...delivered just over 41 MPG with 87 octane vs. 45+ with REC 90. "
Rec 90? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Bob the oil guy forum:
"My gas mileage instantly went up...Also performance seemed to go up a bit"
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2239323

I would love to hear other opinions. Perhaps someone with a REC90 station by there house can try this out to do deny or confirm my findings.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
@miami_cla
Now if only they made Rec93 😜
Glad there are common sense backups to my antiEtOH rant
If your car runs fine on 90 *without* cornmeal great ... I think the electronics will compensate and the engine should not ping
If you ever get an obd reader monitor the timing and boost under hard accel ... that data will tell you lots about how your engine likes rec90

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Actually our car only needs 91 octane so I suppose REC91 would be ideal. But the point is moot for me because we don't have RECanything around me. They all have corn in them.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Speaking of CORN in our tanks ... for folks like me who don't refill too often it may be wise to consider some inexpensive ethanol fuel treatments ... slows down fuel degradation (phase separation crap) and hence preserves whatever octane we paid for (else pay for 91 day 1 and end up with 88 day 30) especially in humid and large temp swing conditions.
Just a friendly public service announcement 😋

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Speaking of CORN in our tanks ... for folks like me who don't refill too often it may be wise to consider some inexpensive ethanol fuel treatments ... slows down fuel degradation (phase separation crap) and hence preserves whatever octane we paid for (else pay for 91 day 1 and end up with 88 day 30) especially in humid and large temp swing conditions.
Just a friendly public service announcement 
What product do you recommend? I fill up just once or twice a month so I might need this product.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
What product do you recommend? I fill up just once or twice a month so I might need this product.
Give StarTron enzyme a try ... right now its like $18 on Amazon for a bottle ... for our tanks its comes out to $1/tank ... for me thats $1/month 😋
If you are adventurous Lucas StaBil etc are viable options ... all quite similar in raising the phase sep threshold from 500ppm to 12500ppm ... so I just keep my exercise cheap.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
For folks interested in recent toss ups about fuel and our cars, there is a recent
presentation from DOE's NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory)
Take it with a HUGE grain of salt ... many comments seem counterintuitive and
real world results though the it is an interesting read

The file is "HighOctaneFuels_NREL031716"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nftplx2v79bcyzm/HighOctaneFuels_NREL031716.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
124 Posts
For folks interested in recent toss ups about fuel and our cars, there is a recent
presentation from DOE's NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory)
Take it with a HUGE grain of salt ... many comments seem counterintuitive and
real world results though the it is an interesting read

The file is "HighOctaneFuels_NREL031716"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nftplx2v79bcyzm/HighOctaneFuels_NREL031716.pdf?dl=0
So basically these people are pushing for increasing ethanol in fuel to between 25% & 40%.
They a justifying this by saying that it increases efficiency in engines & reduces emissions?

I'm not buying it. I think we should be pushing more for pure fuel to catch on. Not to be diluting it more with corn juice.
No doubt these people work for the ethanol refineries and are paid big bucks to put out stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The push to use ethanol has nothing to do with fuel economy or pollution. It's all politics.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
The best (or worst) part is the ethanol "law" is not really even needed ... oil companies and their associated refineries WANT to use ethanol to maintain octane levels as other ingredients to do the same trick costs a lot more. I suppose the previous MTBE was cheap but that does kill us off.
The funniest part is that one slide that notes a requirement for "downspeeded vehicle" ... oh gosh here we go back to the 55mph highway limit! :cool:
Don't get me wrong ... I respect my DOE and national lab colleagues but come on ... geewhiz!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
would

DOE and others are too politicized. They gloss over the basics, i.e.; alcohol has less power, less mileage. it is only there for the farmers subsidy and farmers lobbyists. 25-40% would destroy current engines and void warranties.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
DOE and others are too politicized. They gloss over the basics, i.e.; alcohol has less power, less mileage. it is only there for the farmers subsidy and farmers lobbyists. 25-40% would destroy current engines and void warranties.
I know ... ethanol eats (embrittles) polymer tubing and seals like kids eat candy

381 - 400 of 429 Posts