Mercedes CLA Forum banner

401 - 420 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Give StarTron enzyme a try ... right now its like $18 on Amazon for a bottle ... for our tanks its comes out to $1/tank ... for me thats $1/month 
If you are adventurous Lucas StaBil etc are viable options ... all quite similar in raising the phase sep threshold from 500ppm to 12500ppm ... so I just keep my exercise cheap.
OK, that's what you meant. I know about StaBil and products like it. It's mostly for seasonal motorized grounds equipment like lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. and classic or exotic cars where the fuel stays dormant in the tank for a long time. Much longer than my fill up intervals of my CLA.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK, that's what you meant. I know about StaBil and products like it. It's mostly for seasonal motorized grounds equipment like lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. and classic or exotic cars where the fuel stays dormant in the tank for a long time. Much longer than my fill up intervals of my CLA.
I am also a big fan of StaBil products. Use it in my lawnmower and 3gallon gas tank year round. Never have had an issue with stale fuel.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
If you use up the tank and refill every 2-3 weeks that should be fine ... though many folks refill with 1/4-1/2 tank of old fuel left and separation is inevitable.
Sometimes I get a control glass jar of gas from the same fill up ... as I never know how old the station gas is?
So much less worry with good o' plain pure gasoline 😋

·
Registered
124 Posts
Update, I filled my tank yesterday and fuelly reported my best mpg to date @ 30.1mpg!

I'm thinking about going back to 93 to track the difference in mpg starting on my next fill up. Which I suspect will decrease over several tanks as the ratio of the mix becomes 100% 93 octane.

Here's the screenshot:
Screenshot_2017-04-14-16-46-51_1492275825383.png

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Update, I filled my tank yesterday and fuelly reported my best mpg to date @ 30.1mpg!

I'm thinking about going back to 93 to track the difference in mpg starting on my next fill up. Which I suspect will decrease over several tanks as the ratio of the mix becomes 100% 93 octane.
The tough part is getting consistent fills ... even topping to the filler port every time (and I use a spill catcher every time) I find a 0.2gal margin of error. And this is the same station same pump.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Running my CLA since 5000km on 102 Oct. Ultimate and it runs very smooth :>

Have The Carlson C Tronic and a intercooler installed (GFB since ever)
102 Oct? Is that Octane or RON? Does it not run smooth when you use 91 Octane as recommended?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello all. I've been away from the site for awhile as it's been a very busy year so far.

I went back several months in this thread looking for this subject as I've been away a while and I didn't see anything on it. If this topic has been beaten to death my apologies.

I have been experimenting with something that's been more prevalent in my area the last year or so - non-ethanol gas.

More and more stations around the frozen north have been offering it and it seems to perform much better that the 10% corn gas stuff we've been forced to use. My gas mileage has improved considerably in all our vehicles and all appear to accelerate and perform better. My 97 Harley Fatboy (Evo) has gone from 45 mpg to 55 mpg. The CLA has gone from 42 mpg on a southbound trip to 48 mpg. My wife's GLC300 went from 23 mpg to 26 mpg day to day driving. I use my Tacoma to haul a Wells Cargo 12' bow front, enclosed trailer. I can now go to the coast of Maine (about a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive) towing 2,900 lbs out & 900 lbs (the trailer weight) back on a single tank of gas. It's all local roads no interstate at all. I used to have to fill up on my return trip somewhere along the way.

It's only available in 91 Octane around here. Valero, Sunoco, BP and a local chain in VT & NY called Stewarts offer it. A few mom & pops also offer it as well.

The performance appears to be awesome in all my vehicles. I'll put in a detergent gas like Mobile 93 every 4 to 5 fill ups just in case some of the non-ethanols are not a detergent gas. The difficult thing was finding non-ethanol stations until I found the Pure Gas App. It works pretty well. It locates your phone and will give you the closest station to your current location with GPS directions. If you find a non-ethanol station that's not listed you can add it.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Al !!!!!
Thanks for confirming the benefits of corn free.
Just put some Techron superduper additive to keep things clean.
With the use of 10% junk the past 20k miles I am afraid to video my chambers when I change plugs ... might have varnish everywhere ...
100% gas gives a lot more punch per spark than 90% stuff so am not surprised about your results.
Good to “see” you

401 - 420 of 431 Posts