Mercedes CLA Forum banner

421 - 440 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Any thoughts about using 91 octane non ethanol gas?

·
Super Moderator
607 Posts
Well in Canada we have 94 at Petro Canada but i usually buy 91 from Ultramar and when i go to costco i get costco premium

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have been using Shell V-Power exclusively since Day 1.

Last month, I had an issue where the car had to be towed. Turned out to be a bad injector. When chatting with the dealer, they said it might be the gas being used. The SA suggested 'in his personal experience', he would use Chevron Premium, with the Techron already mixed in.

Anybody has any experience of difference between Shell and Chevron premiums? Should I switch, or keep trusting Shell?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think what the dealer meant was not the brand per se, but the actual gas in that particular time and station (quasi-factory defect). I personally do a monthly switch between Shell V-power and Chevron Premium. My butt dyno tells me Shell gives a little bit more power but Chevron makes the engine run with less vibration overall..

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
For my 66 fills all were Chevron 91 except for 1 factory german (BP?) fill 1 odd ball United fill 8 Shell 91
Chevron seems to work well ... plus 12oz of Techron super cleanse every 3~5k

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CLA250 uses a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 208 horsepower and requires premium. The CLA250 has combined city/highway fuel economy estimates of 29 mpg with front-wheel drive and 27 mpg with all-wheel drive. With the national average of $2.96 for premium, here is what it would cost to fill the CLA250’s 14.8-gallon tank based on prices posted Thursday by the

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
13.2 gal tank for the 250 ... well at least in the 14s
Filled to the brim is about 13.5
Geee 4.599/gal in my neck of the woods

·
Registered
347 Posts
Any thoughts about using 91 octane non ethanol gas?
Good Morning,

As JMC said; I commented on my experience with it last year. Go back one page in this thread and you'll find my post on non-ethanol. I am still using it. I've switched to using mostly Sunoco non-ethanol as they're the closest top tier brand to me. I'm even using it in my new Tacoma especially when towing as it improves my mileage even though the truck is rated for 87 octane. When not towing I'm getting 26 to 28 mpg in a 4WD full crew cab pick-up truck (in 2WD mode) on local roads.

A local supermarket (Shaws) has a program that works great for me. For every $100.00 spent you get 10 cents off per gallon at the local Sunoco station. I hear they're changing the program to Mobil which is a bummer as they don't offer non-ethanol.

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
51 Posts
Had to put "regular" in the 2016 CL250 once because the car was empty and it was all they had left at that station. Only put a couple of gallons in so I could find another gas station. Check Engine light came on after a minute or two. After I filled up the tank completely with 93 Octane at the next station and then driving again, about 10 minutes later, the CEL went out. I assume it "knew" that I had put in low octane fuel??

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
That CEL may be related to the knock sensor going off too often under 87 octane and maybe even too many logged misfires
Wont feel these but the system logs the events

421 - 440 of 446 Posts