481 - 500 of 517 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geo K

So you think that the power outputs are the same on both sides of the pond?, as I asked before I was wondering why it states a lower power output than Europe and wondered if it was down to tighter emissions laws or fuel quality?
As I know that having travelled quite a bit around the world that fuel quality does vary. And Mecedes aren't the only manufacturer to do that, VW are another as well.
I just thought someone may now what the reason is?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
....I just thought someone may now what the reason is?
Right, someone here may know and speak up - certainly MB knows,
but if the engine is the same and the 0-60 is the same, then the difference is likely related to different definitions/standards and/or fuel variations used in the MB tests.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Real world experience notes 94 vs 91oct does allow even the factory tune band to take advantage of the ability to be more happy with timing and less tendency to pull power since the knock sensors are lit up less

Custom tunes also have 91 vs 93 vs 95oct variants ... though of course if I load in the 95 version I might be going broke at the pump

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Right, someone here may know and speak up - certainly MB knows,
but if the engine is the same and the 0-60 is the same, then the difference is likely related to different definitions/standards and/or fuel variations used in the MB tests.
I will throw in my 2 cents here...

• identical engines in both CLAs (UK and north america)
  • different "horsepower" reported in UK and north america, different "torques" as well
  • identical 0-60 times

Just in terms of physics laws, assuming the CLAs were tested on very similar road conditions, this simply cannot make sense... unless you have the test drivers in both continents driving in such a way ("cheating") to make sure 0-60 times are the same.

I can only conclude that the way the CLA is marketed in UK and North America has to be different to work around whatever federal and insurance guidelines exist in the two continents...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
"...and taxes..."
Comments 479,480 & 481 tend to agree with You mav238.
You will be especially interested in the link in #279 and in particular the last paragraph in the SAE Horsepower section, in that link, which touches on manufacturers' manipulations.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Now if only the darn brochure will say the 45 does 60 in 5 my insurance co will let me add it to my policy
As of now the 35 is acceptable

·
Registered
5 Posts
This reminds me of the other thread where they talk about engine reliability. I have the same opinion as the others. If you by a precision car, expect that things like tires, brakes, fuel, servicing etc are going to cost double and will likely require the "premium" versions, lol.

DIY servicing helps, but it might lower resale value if you care about that sort of thing. 😉

Don't be scared off though, you only live once and the costs are worth it!! 😀

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
...expect that things like tires, brakes, fuel, servicing etc are going to cost double...

DIY servicing helps, but it might lower resale value if you care about that sort of thing. 😉

Don't be scared off though, you only live once and the costs are worth it!! 😀
Welcome to the forum, Ogiboys, though methinks thou dost protesteth too hyperbolic - tires and fuel are no more expensive for this almost-entry-level MB than for any other car that uses premium and low-profile tires.

Reactions: Ogiboys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Ogiboys, though methinks thou dost protesteth too hyperbolic - tires and fuel are no more expensive for this almost-entry-level MB than for any other car that uses premium and low-profile tires.
Lol, you talk funny... 🍻
Thanks for the welcome ☺

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
....DIY servicing helps, but it might lower resale value if you care about that sort of thing....
When I saw your 8 yr old, Alex, talk about the 330xi camshaft position sensor, OBD code reading & part replacement, it became apparent that you have an occupational interest in buying, fixing & selling....quite remarkable! (y)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Lol, you talk funny... 🍻
Thanks for the welcome ☺
Yeah, I just watched a group of kids perform a Shakespeare play, so I'll be this way for a bit. All that glitters is not gold.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The gas prices for whatever reason is so expensive today. Well , no more chevron 94 diet for my CLA , back to Costco premium gas.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The gas prices for whatever reason is so expensive today. Well , no more chevron 94 diet for my CLA , back to Costco premium gas.
Mav, What are the 2 prices and how many fl oz in your gallon?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Mav, What are the 2 prices and how many fl oz in your gallon?
In CAD dollars, I was originally paying CAD1.68 per litre for Chevron 94 octane gas, now it's CAD1.92 per litre.

Costco 91 octane gas (ethanol free) is currently $1.76 litre.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Just got my CLA. Not able to open the glove compartment. Not sure if I need to apply more 'force' to the 'handle' or is it locked? Can anybody pls advise..

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum
Did you get it opened?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I've been on car forums for the last 15 years and I see this question come up a lot and I shake my head every single time. Here's the math folks (approximate numbers from a local station but you get the idea):

87 Gas: $3.69
89 Gas: $3.75
91 Gas: $3.84

Assuming you drive 15,000 miles a year and get a city+hwy mpg of 30, that's 500 gallons a year. The difference between 87 and 91 Octane at that rate is $75 per year. Or $~6 a month. Or two lattes (barely) or the price of a movie ticket if you are a senior citizen. For a car that costs between $30,000 and $70,000 (the range of prices I've seen for cars on these forums), that's a drop in the bucket. Sigh.
mav238 >
500G=1892.71L x $0.16 = $302.8336 / 12 = $25.24
By switching to COSTCO91 @ $1.76 from CHEVRON94 @ $1.92 you are saving approx. $25 a month and still within MB specs by using Premium,

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
....Costco 91 octane gas (ethanol free) is currently $1.76 litre.
We don't have a COSTCO available to us, but by contrast our average premium here goes for USD 3.69/Gal = 0.975/Litre = CAD 1.20Litre approx.
[ 52% of US oil comes from our good neighbor Canada ]

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
You are lucky
$5 here with all the new (supposedly tax the rich only) taxes
Tax the rich only my ass ... affects common folks by the masses

481 - 500 of 517 Posts