Mercedes CLA Forum banner
501 - 517 of 517 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
...the new (supposedly tax the rich only) taxes
Tax the rich only ...
Karl's plan didn't work anywhere it has been tried, I am told, but maybe Gavin, Nancy & Joe can make it happen,

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Karl's plan didn't work anywhere it has been tried, I am told, but maybe Gavin, Nancy & Joe can make it happen,
Dont joke around with that
Tracked my tax rates since 1981 part time jobs till now plus watching corporate payroll taxes ... its absolute insane how much opportunity cost has been stolen

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
recently running my CLA on ESSO premium supreme, and quite pleased with it.

stopped using Costco 91, engine don't quite jive with it. poor gas mileage and not so smooth and less responsive.

Chevron 94 is what i run as well occasionally. Rarely run Shell 91.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wish we has proper 93 e0 or e5 in this neck of the woods ...
Glad that over here in Canada, the major brands has opted to keep their premium gas ethanol free.

people used to say all gasolines are the same, come from the same source (main distribution filling station).

But I can definitely say that after running ESSO and Chevron premium gas, my overall experience is that they are superior to brands like Costco , Husky, etc...

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
95% of my fills are chevron 91 e10 (to be consistent over long term data)
very sickening we got get 93 e0 here ... best i can find locally is race 95 and costs a bomb

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
21 Posts
I believe the manual specifies 89 octane minimum. If you must use 87 or lower, it instructs the owner to not exceed 3000rpm.
89 or higher should be safe to use.

I typically get 94 octance from PetroCanada. Ocassionally, I get 91 from Shell since it has zero ethanol content artificially boosting the octane rating.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
ours call for 91 as standard
the 89 and 87 stuff may ding the pistons if the knockers cant keep up and the tune cant compensate properly
all it takes is one ill event and there will be more busted piston pix to share

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
21 Posts
Yeah you're right, it's 89 and lower is not recommended. If you are going to have a knock event, it's definitely better on the lower side of 3000rpm 😜

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yeah you're right, it's 89 and lower is not recommended. If you are going to have a knock event, it's definitely better on the lower side of 3000rpm 😜
Interesting... my Canadian CLA calls for 91 minimum.

Unless you are driving in some wilderness, and the only thing is some momma and poppa moonshine < 91 octane, I would not try to save a few dollars to run it below 91 octane.

Also, if you want your CLA to be on a ethanol free diet, then ESSO 91 and Chevron 94 are also ethanol free. Superstore Mobil 91 gas is ethanol free.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
darn it ... even our mobil here is e10 91
good grief
Yeah, ESSO gas and Mobil gas are essentially the same here in Canada. The new synergy supreme 91 gas from ESSO is really quite decent. I would not even consider putting 89 gas into the CLA, unless like I said earlier, you are stuck in the wilderness or rural area , where the only gas station does not have anything higher than 89 gas.
The CLA turbocharged engine is tuned to run on 91 diet, for power and durability as the engine is set up; hence why chance it to put lower octane gasoline into it, where the engine ECU has to compensate , working hard outside of it's normal operating parameters for performance and reliability. The $100 or so you save on gas is not worth the risk of causing damage to the engine in the long run. Moreover , why rob yourself of the satisfaction of running a peppy engine for saving some $ unnecessarily.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
and the consumption is lower so makes up for the $ anyway

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
356 Posts
From day 1, I used BP Ultimate (98 RON here in Aus), never had an issue with the 2016 CLA250, continuing the same with the new AMG. We have traditionally suffered with relatively dirty fuel over here, so I got in the habit from day 1 using the (supposedly) cleanest and highest rated fuel you can get. If I ever get stuck somewhere without a BP station, I would use AMPOL Amplify Premium 98 as a substitute. I'm paying AUD $1.75 per litre for the BP Ultimate at the moment, that's the equivalent of USD $4.85 per Gallon, probably a bit more than my friends in the US are paying I am guessing.

Reactions: medford90

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Are you kidding?
4.99 and up around here no thanks to the political asses
I track the prices at each fill and the prices are ridiculous!

501 - 517 of 517 Posts