Mercedes CLA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
This video is good but not addressing the point. They are testing the "performance" claim on gases. That is entirely different than"knocking" effect that may kill your engine !!

The point is, is it worth saving few dollars on gas, that may add up max $150 per year, and then get into engine troubles ? That too for a car that may have costed you 60k and other mods on top of that. Not worth (unless the idea is to beat oil companies :D) !!.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This video is good but not addressing the point. They are testing the "performance" claim on gases. That is entirely different than"knocking" effect that may kill your engine !!

The point is, is it worth saving few dollars on gas, that may add up max $150 per year, and then get into engine troubles ? That too for a car that may have costed you 60k and other mods on top of that. Not worth (unless the idea is to beat oil companies :D) !!.

Agree. But that's why I wrote "Kind of related to this thread"...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Pretty much the highest available at the pump, so 91+

I also love how random gas stations have their lowest to highest in difference orders. Out of habit, I almost filled up with 87 by accident! Blasphemy!

I'm more interested in how much you guys pay for high octane gas. I think around Vancouver it is roughly $1.60/L or roughly $6.30 a gallon. I typically just drive 30 min over the border and grab groceries at the same time for gas that's $4.30ish a gallon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pretty much the highest available at the pump, so 91+

I also love how random gas stations have their lowest to highest in difference orders. Out of habit, I almost filled up with 87 by accident! Blasphemy!

I'm more interested in how much you guys pay for high octane gas. I think around Vancouver it is roughly $1.60/L or roughly $6.30 a gallon. I typically just drive 30 min over the border and grab groceries at the same time for gas that's $4.30ish a gallon.
I'm in Philly and premium gas about 4/gal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am using the Sunoco 93 with the Carlsson C-Tronic ECU upgrade. Before the upgrade I used the Sunoco 91 grade for the CLA and my C350W.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I only use premium (91+ octane) as recommended. I usually get gas from Costco and their premium is 93 octane. I also have the Carlsson C-Tronic.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Heading up to Toronto tomorrow. I wonder if I'll notice any difference between 93 and 94 octane. Probably not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where do you find these 93+ grades? Highest I've seen so far is 92 at Chevron. 91 at most gas stations in the city.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Where do you find these 93+ grades? Highest I've seen so far is 92 at Chevron. 91 at most gas stations in the city.
If there's a Costco near you that sells gas then get your gas there. Their premium is 93 Octane but you and the car won't notice any difference between 91 and 93 as I didn't when I had to use 91.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use 95 98 or even 102 (Aral ultimate 102) here in Germany. Most of the time 98 (super plus). It is very interesting to hear that in other country 89 91 octan exist I did not know that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
WoW, we are all over the place on this issue.. Truth is its less then 2% and we cant feel any differance with a DCT anyway..

The real factor, use any fuel at all 87-91-93 in the US, but we have Direct Injection, which is High Pressure in the Combustion Chamber. The real differance is build up on injectors and keeping carbon burn off under control! Use P.I. from Amsoil and keep the system running clean.. Fuel and Air are the two thing that go in and out of the engine in which we cant control..

Never use any oil additives, only the best synthetic oil avail ==== AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

61 - 80 of 431 Posts