Mercedes CLA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anything more than 91 octane is just wasting your money and even doing a few tankful's using 89 or 87 is not going to have any effect either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anything more than 91 octane is just wasting your money and even doing a few tankful's using 89 or 87 is not going to have any effect either.
Sorry but you are wrong my friend. The octane rating does make a significant impact in performance. Try this, get a hold of 100 octane gas and put half a tank of it than enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
697 Posts
I use 93 octane. In Illinois all premium gas is that rating. I have seen 102 octane pure gasoline for racing purposes in some stations for 5.40 USD a gallon. I know from experience that US octane rating equals to a higher rating overseas. Either way, during a trip to New Mexico I ran in to the trouble of not finding premium fuel and I used 87 octane and the car didn't complain, however someone in Canada reported that after a couple of tanks a code was triggered and a check light appeared on his instrument panel. Without going in to much detail I was told at a tuner that the sensors in the car will detect low octane fuel via timing sensors and other paramenters. If you want to play it by the book do as the manual says, half of low octane and half if high octane. Hopefully that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyone with half a brain won't listen to you.
Feel free to educate yourself on modern knock control strategy.
I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually could you elaborate on the modern knock strategy. I'm new to this since I drive a Prius but am looking at cla's. And would like to know if my gas cost will go up because I need to use premium.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Actually could you elaborate on the modern knock strategy. I'm new to this since I drive a Prius but am looking at cla's. And would like to know if my gas cost will go up because I need to use premium.
Well the higher the octane the more it costs. So since the CLA burns more fuel then a prius, and needs higher grade fuel then yes the amount you pay for gas yearly will go up

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I tend to use Shell V Power which is 91 Octane. I'm trying out Petro Canadas 94 Octane now with 10% ethanol. Might try out Huskys 94 octane next. Afterwards I'll try out 100 octane :crazy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
PF2000, You definitely do not know what you are talking about, This is a high compression turbo charged engine, not a Honda CRV 4 banger.

Continue run that low octane gas and you will have check engine light and could even have detonation to the point the computer cannot compensate and cause major engine damage; example would be damage to pistons and even a blown head gasket.

I have read in this Forum how several people complain about engine knock or ticking I have 10,000 miles on mine and have never heard that sound, I would be willing to bet anyone who hears this or complains of loss of acceleration has put low octane/or bad gas. I carry a bottle of octane boost in my trunk and recommend others who own a CLA especially the 45 do the same, Cheap insurance in my opinion.

I run nothing but 93 Octane from either Shell, Chevron, Exxon or Mobil. And recommend staying away from Walmart or any other Grocery chain gas, you gotta remember you moved up in class when you bought the Mercedes, this is not a Honda, or Toyota mini van. It is a high performance engine and has to be treated as such or you will have problems---I can guarantee that.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The gas is more expensive, but you get 27 to 29 mpg in city with out any problem and about 37 to 39 in hwy. The Prius is a good car with a little engine and it does save gas if driven mildly. If you push it it will drink a lot more. The CLA will give you way more power and room with out pushing it hard and the fuel economy is very good for a car this size. Trust us, you will like the car, and the gas bill will be not that excessively high, in fact in my view is very tolerable compared to a regular sedan.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm using Sunoco Ultra 93 because it's what's closest to my house and it's currently running about $3.98 a gallon which I can live with... and so far I'm averaging about 32 miles to the gallon in mostly just driving around town... Now that's something I'm really excited about... :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Prior to buying the CLA, I was interested in this thread, as the thought of buying the most expensive gas, +40 cents more per gallon sounded like a kick in the nuts.

Now that I have the CLA .. and the gas mileage is nearly double what I was driving before, I'm OK spending an extra $5 for every fill-up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The truth is that it's a irrelevant question - most modern engines can run on any gas with self advancing timing. You do get maximum benefits though out of the premium gasoline.

Higher compression engines are able to use the higher octane gasoline more efficiently. Lower octane has would work but you loose efficiency, so even though you spend less money at the pump, you also get less mileage.

One benefit of the premium gasoline though is the additives that come with it. Most companies use emollients and other products in premium that will keep your injectors cleaner with less carbon build up.

So, in my car - premium it goes. Now, either that's 91,93,94. It depends on location. But I go for the highest rating at the pump as the car is able to use it...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My CLA is a very picky eater. The ONE time I went to a questionable gas station, despite filling up with Premium, it had hiccups the next couple of mornings' cold starts and even stalled a little bit driving out of the station.

Now I don't even think of putting anything less than premium or going anywhere besides the "Big 3". No issues since then...

Getting 17-18 MPG driving almost exclusively M mode with an avg speed of 20 MPH the last thousand or so miles... my commute sucks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The truth is that it's a irrelevant question - most modern engines can run on any gas with self advancing timing. You do get maximum benefits though out of the premium gasoline.

Higher compression engines are able to use the higher octane gasoline more efficiently. Lower octane has would work but you loose efficiency, so even though you spend less money at the pump, you also get less mileage.

One benefit of the premium gasoline though is the additives that come with it. Most companies use emollients and other products in premium that will keep your injectors cleaner with less carbon build up.

So, in my car - premium it goes. Now, either that's 91,93,94. It depends on location. But I go for the highest rating at the pump as the car is able to use it...
How could you say the question is irrelevant when right after you give reasons as to why it is important. Also using the lower octane gas can cause knocking and in the long term, shorten the life. Just cause the car will move with any gasoline doesn't mean you should. The question on relevant.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Euro 95 unleaded in Europe.
Kost : € 1,729 Euro de ltr.

Marcel, that equates to about $8.31 per US gallon,
but some say that you have "better" social programs than the US.
Perhaps we can get to your levels if Hillary gets elected.

81 - 100 of 431 Posts