Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying the CLA 45 amg, I have a jeep Grand cherokee as well, i am going to trade the Jeep for either the Audi SQ5 or the Porsche Macan.

These two little trucks will be a great trade off when not driving the CLA 45 AMG. Which Truck would you get? Need help making the choice between the two

Attachments

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
My signature says it all.

The only thing I'm questioning is whether I really want to trade in my Volvo. Technically, I have no valid reason to keep it (my wife and I are the only drivers in the house and my kids are about a decade away from driving age) but its trade-in value is nominal at this point and I still love it! lol If I ask my wife for her opinion I'll just get the stink eye.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250 Coupe
2012 VW Passat 3.6 SEL
2008 BMW M3
2001 Mercedes S430
1999 BMW 528i Sport Touring Wagon
1989 Ferrari 328 GTS

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what car would you guys pick. SQ5 or the porsche Macan??????? the pictures above are the choices. let me know. these will be the other car when i dont drive the cla 45 amg

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Same car...different flavor. The Porsche will offer more a la carte options to reach stratospheric prices...but they're both ultimately based on the same platform. It's hard to really comment on whether it will be better or worse when neither are currently on US roads. And, are you really comparing a 220hp Macan (not a Macan S?) against a 350+hp SQ5? Doesn't seem like a fair fight.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The Q5 and Macan all mostly going to be in the $55000 - $65000 range when optioned out.

I would wait a year or two to buy the VW version of the same car - the Tiguan replacement at a big discount unless you really want that Porsche plate on your car.

Case in point is the Cayenne vs Tourareg. Same platform, drastically different prices.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would get the Macan S so yes i would compare the SQ5 to the Macan S
I think they would both be about 55 to 60 with some options

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
if past practice is any indication, the Porsche will be more than that.
Base Macan projected base price - $45000. Macan S projected base price is going to be around $52000.
Unless you are ordering a stripped down car, most Porsches will have a 30% option list, making the car more like $65000.
As I have posted somewhere else in the forum, the Boxster S Road & Track tested against the Jaguar F-Type had a base
price of $62000 but optioned out at $101000.
My personal 2002 Boxster S had a base price of $51000 but had the following options:
Special metallic paint - $3200
Sport exhaust - $2500
Upgraded stereo - $3000 ( piece of crap btw )
interior aluminium trims - $1000
Special 19" wheels with summer tires - $1950
Handling traction package - $3500
Heated seats - $500
Glass wind deflector - $750

Total price at almost $70000

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Only for 911s. My wonderful $68000 boxster that never tried once to ambush me with trail throttle oversteer as my 911 did many times, after 4 years of lease with 48000 miles, sold at auction for less than $24000. Some dealer will ask $29900 for it. That's it.
And for 911s, the best bet is to buy a low mile pampered four year old car. Now you are really going to retain value.
A 2003 $92000 Carrera cab with 80000 miles today will sell for may be $25000 retail. Very good residual value but less than 30% of initial price. But if you bought it in 2007 for $45000, you are keeping 60% of your purchase price after six years which is damn good !

·
Registered
180 Posts
224698_108861072533763_4749861_n.jpg

That's basically what I did. Bought my '05 in 07' with 18000 miles on it. Saved about 30K over new and the car was like new.
Got it in Dallas. Additional bonus was I then imported it to Canada and once I got it in all taxes and freight included was about 18K less than equivalent cars were selling for in Canada.
I can sell it now in Canada and only be down about 14K which is pretty awesome considering I've had it around 6 years.

That is not even taking into account the car had Champion RS 97 wheels when I bought it, which are not cheap by any means and much more in Canada than the US.

CMS-RS97-2T.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
changed it up getting an ML with the cla. going to get them together. two new 2014 in jan.......... NICE

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not rich. just work real hard to have all i want. Benz Newbie, have to keep the wife happy to make sure i can have fun in the CLA 45 amg. the ML will be great for her and the kids. and the 45 will put a smile on muy face everyday

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
View attachment 1085

That's basically what I did. Bought my '05 in 07' with 18000 miles on it. Saved about 30K over new and the car was like new.
Got it in Dallas. Additional bonus was I then imported it to Canada and once I got it in all taxes and freight included was about 18K less than equivalent cars were selling for in Canada.
I can sell it now in Canada and only be down about 14K which is pretty awesome considering I've had it around 6 years.

That is not even taking into account the car had Champion RS 97 wheels when I bought it, which are not cheap by any means and much more in Canada than the US.

View attachment 1084
Very nice indeed, Maddog !

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am buying the CLA 45 amg, I have a jeep Grand cherokee as well, i am going to trade the Jeep for either the Audi SQ5 or the Porsche Macan.

These two little trucks will be a great trade off when not driving the CLA 45 AMG. Which Truck would you get? Need help making the choice between the two

i'm keeping my accord, as well. but my CLA is my baby yaaa digggggggggggggggggg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts