Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cla 180 amg sport. I know the cla 200 will be in the uk soon and has the same engine. Does anyone know how if and how I up the power on my 180 to be more like the 200??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your question would probably be more relevant over in the "CLA Performance" forum section. It's likely going to take a tuner chip to increase power but beware, some of those can have nasty side effects and may very well void your MB factory warranty. Most manufacturers can detect the presence of a tuner chip when the mechanic connects your car to the diagnostic systems.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your question would probably be more relevant over in the "CLA Performance" forum section.
Agreed - so moved. :)

daviemph, congrats on your recent purchase! Please remember to post pictures of your car and also let us know what you decide to do regarding any performance upgrades!!

-Eric

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm looking in to this as well, and found chip tuning to be a pretty standard performance upgrade.
Try looking for a tuner that has experience with the A-class 180 or 200 which is the exact same engine.
I read the standard upgrade is 122 - 156hp and 200 - 250 fpt, to your 180 will turn in to a 200 just like that!
Some tuners will (for extra money) take over your factory warranty.
And, if your afraid the mechanics will bitch about the tuning, you can use a tuning bypass module, which you can take from the original wiring when you turn it in for service.
Actually, my Dutch dealer is perfectly okay with this method of engine tuning!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Performance tuning a diesel usually means cranking up the turbo boost pressure. This is hard on head bolts, head gasket, increases exhaust gas temperature that cooks the turbocharger and more stress on the engine cooling system. Long term engine life is likely to take a hit. Here in the USA, dealers will definitely void your factory warranty if they detect a tuner chip. There is a word for damaging your engine with a tuner chip, removing the chip and then having the dealer repair your engine under factory warranty, that word is FRAUD.

Beware and tune at your own risk!

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is a word for damaging your engine with a tuner chip, removing the chip and then having the dealer repair your engine under factory warranty, that word is FRAUD.
Beware and tune at your own risk!
Every good tuner gives warranty for the engine in case of tuning. If you locate a company who doesn't, then Don't do it!.

There is always risk in tuning, but a good tuner will remain in the limits of your parts.
E.g. if you automatic gearbox can only handle 500nm, and it's now 300nm, then the tuner will stay below it.

If you really don't want to stress your engine than normal. Find out which parts are different of the 200 compared to the 180 and then tune it exactly to the hp/nm of it. This way you're not stressing it more than a 200.
Here in the NL it's quite common to tune and there is a lot of experience.

The time when you tuned your car and a couple of weeks later it's broken, is gone....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Probably a tune, looking forward to seeing what the downpipe looks like on the CLA. I wonder if some AMG parts will be interchangeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts