Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been getting ever more excited about the new CLA, I remember how much I loved my new C300 Sport 4Matic when it was introduced in 2008.

Now, as I'm crunching the numbers, I'm estimating that -- fully equipped with 4Matic and my preferred options -- the CLA will run me nearly $40K including taxes and delivery charges.

Checking around autotrader.com and other pre-owned online car sites, I find that I can get a fully equipped 2010 (or maybe even 2011) C300 Sport 4Matic with 20,000 miles or less ... for about US $25K.

Granted, the thrill of having the newest toy on the block is gone by buying a resale; but so is the (considerable) loss in depreciation.

So, all things considered, if you could get a fully loaded 2010 or 2011 C300 for about $25K vs. a 2014 CLA for about $40K, which would you choose?

More important to my question -- and my own purchasing plans -- is WHY?????

Thanks for sharing.

~PastorAndProf

·
Registered
52 Posts
CLA. You know everytime you see one on the road you'll be kicking yourself. Just get the car you want. Although, dont ignore finances, you know what you can afford, get what is the best for both worlds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd get the CLA. At least with a brand new car, you know exactly how it's been driven and maintenanced. You just never know with a used car. Brush up on your negotiating and bite the bullet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My God, you must bet getting every option... and in the end your car will drive no faster than the base $29,900 version. I would knock off $5k in options and spend $35k for a brand new CLA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I second that!!! Up until the super bowl my goal was to buy a used c300 this year after I did the taxes for my business. But that has all changed due to the cla. I'm obsessed with it I'm going to wait for the amg model this will be my first brand new car purchase.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome, you have more patience than I do. Im going to have a hard time waiting till sept., let along next year...good luck

I second that!!! Up until the super bowl my goal was to buy a used c300 this year after I did the taxes for my business. But that has all changed due to the cla. I'm obsessed with it I'm going to wait for the amg model this will be my first brand new car purchase.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Buying a pre-depreciated car that is not in its first months of production is always the sensible thing to do. That said, the C300 drinks like a sailor on shore leave, which is what has, up to now, kept me out of a C-Class.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I were going to spend $40k, I would spend a few thousands more and get the FWD 2.0T Audi A6.

To me, the CLA is in the low $30k range car. So, low $30k CLA versus used $25k Class.... I would get the CLA.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A moderate-output four'banger which nears or is into ~$40k would be a tough sell for me. EVOs, STIs, and Ms (1-series/Z4) offer a lot of oomph w/ their high-output 4's.

There are also quite a few handsome sports-cars (370z, Genesis, Scion/FRS) & sports-coupes (G37, Accord, A5) & roadsters (Z3, MX-5 Miata, well within that range.

With that said, I'm glad the CLA doesn't come w/ a V6 option as that would've made the car heavier & compromised cabin-space, to allow for the platform/structure to be able to accommodate both engine options.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Speaking for myself, I don't like to decide between two big-ticket items (cars, boats, homes, etc.) without knowing a fair amount about both of them. The only way I could do that with the CLA would be to spend some quality time with one, including a substantial test drive. After I had done that (and then slept on it), I would likely know which was the right choice for me.

So, what I'm saying is, unless there's a compelling reason to decide soon, wait until the fall and get to know the CLA before you choose.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cla !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
well it comes down to finances.... if you can swing a big down payment: could you live with small payments? ... or have you thought about leasing with otption to buy?.... this way you can get the car for a few thousand down and under $300 payments.... just food for thought... you decide, but i would never ever buy a used car again.... why? because you dont know the other guys headaches that came with it.... unless of course you purchase a car from someone you know and its in pristine shape...
just saying....:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts