Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here will drive their CLA 250 or 45 AMG during the winter?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I'm buying the 45 specifically to be my Winter car. You just need a set of dedicated snow tires...which is a good reason to buy a 2nd set of rims if you're looking for an excuse. :) Otherwise, just get a set of snows and have the tire shop swap them out for you.

-Eric

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm buying the 45 specifically to be my Winter car. You just need a set of dedicated snow tires...which is a good reason to buy a 2nd set of rims if you're looking for an excuse. :) Otherwise, just get a set of snows and have the tire shop swap them out for you.

-Eric
Any recommended 18" winter tires? And rims? I am considering having full 2nd set instead of just tires...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be driving in the good old crazy Alberta winter haha :p and does anyone recommend any good winter tires for the size 235/35 ZR19? (thats the size of the 19inch tires of for the AMG)

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I haven't looked into rim options yet but I've had Dunlop Wintersports on a few cars and love them. Blizzaks are another great snow tire with a performance oriented tread. I will probably check out some reviews on Tire Rack before picking up another set of the Dunlops just to see if there's something 'new' worth considering but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set. They've always served me very well in the snow and ice.

-Eric

·
Registered
534 Posts
I will drive my AMG in the winter.

I'm getting the 19" rims with the car but I will buy a set of 18" rims and mount snow tires on them.

Either Blizzaks or Pirellis - I've run both on other cars.

Snow tires are absolutely necessary in New England even with all wheel drive !!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
What would happen if you didn't switch tires in the winter and drove on the summer tires in the snow? I live in Ohio and we get some snow but not usually a ton. Just curious if anyone has driven in the snow with summer tires.

·
Registered
534 Posts
bad idea - performance tires have poor traction and even worse braking capability

Accident waiting to happen

·
Registered
278 Posts
i hear the CLA 45 will be impressive in snow conditions

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
What would happen if you didn't switch tires in the winter and drove on the summer tires in the snow? I live in Ohio and we get some snow but not usually a ton. Just curious if anyone has driven in the snow with summer tires.
You simply cannot use Summer only performance tires in the Winter.

Tire Rack on Summer vs. All-Season vs. Snow Tires in the Winter

Trust me, you don't want to be caught in cold weather with Summer tires let alone snow. They basically become useless regardless of whether the roads are dry or covered in ice/snow. It's not a question of whether you should get proper tires. It's only a question of which tires.

-Eric

·
Registered
327 Posts
Please dont use summer tires in winter. Not only will you probably crash, you will definitely curb your new rims trying to park the car. It will simply slide into the curb and as you try to prevent it you will spin your wheels all over the curb. Trust me lol. If you plan to get some winters I like to try to order 10 or 20mm wider so that way the tire can give some sidewall protection as well. But then again going with manufacturer size isn't bad either.

If you live in Canada or anywhere that you will get some snow accumulation for anything longer than a day, you need dedicated winters. PERIOD!

Ive never used the Pirelli tires, im sure they are good. Ive only used Blizzaks and they worked about as good as can be

·
Registered
546 Posts
I live in the Philly area and have a sport model coming. What type of specific "winter" tires would you folks recommend??

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Regular old snow tires...go to Tire Rack to see your options. Check out the Dunlop Wintersports, Bridgestone Blizzaks and other performance oriented snow tires. What do you usually drive on during the winter? See my post above for a review that compares summer tires to all seasons to winter tires.

-Eric

·
Registered
534 Posts
An extra set of rims and snow tires is a must for anyone who has to drive in snow or any extended period where temps are below 40 degrees.

Over a two / three year period it's about break even and you can always sell them online if you get rid of the car

I've driven numerous rear drive cars with snow tires installed which provide incredible traction.

I've also owned 3 all wheel drive Audis with snow tires mounted in the winter which instill total driving confidence !!!!!

The CLA should be the same.

The only real mobility restriction is ground clearance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in the Philly area and have a sport model coming. What type of specific "winter" tires would you folks recommend??
I live in central Maine, where we still get some serious winter, and I have been using Michelin X-Ice tires on most of my vehicles for the last five years with excellent results. They handle decently on dry surfaces and are very good in the snow, plus they have a long life for a snow tire. I do buy another set of rims to mount them on, so that the fall and spring swap is easy (except for the TPMS reset, which, depending on automaker, may involve a trip to the dealer--don't know about M-B).

BTW, here is a very interesting article about running snow tires on a 2WD vehicle vs. all-seasons on an AWD:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-of-the-all-powerful-all-wheel-drive-15202862

·
Registered
381 Posts
I will drive my CLA in the winter, but NC hardly gets enough snow to even worry about snow tires. :cool2:
Yea but we also have never seen a summer this cool and rainy before either. We could get record snow or record heat. That is just North Carolina for you.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
BTW, here is a very interesting article about running snow tires on a 2WD vehicle vs. all-seasons on an AWD
I would choose a RWD car with snow tires over an AWD car with summer performance tires in the snow every single time.

Summer tires + Snow/Cold Weather = Accident. AWD is only as good as the tires that connect the system to the ground. Too many people underestimate the value of having the right tires on your car.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts