Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,,
I have test drove the car a few times and played around with it, and I honestly think it's pretty nice. It drives fine, the interior is nice (not as nice as C-Class but its still pretty nice), and the exterior looks amazing. I love the taillights and the aggressive look on the front with the AMG exterior.
But when I read around reddit about the CLA250, it gets so much hate. I understand that it is lower quality than any of the other mercedes, but it is also a cheaper car. Comparing to the C300, for a $8k price difference I think the difference in quality is fair. But based on what I have read on reddit, it seems like if C300 is a $40k car, people are treating the CLA250 like it is a $20k car or worse. Is there something I am missing? Is there something terrible about the CLA that I don't know about yet? I'm looking to buy one soon and I want to make sure I'm not making a horrible decision.

Registered
Lol reddit hates CLAs with a passion. Not surprised there. There are people on reddit who think a CLA45 is a fake amg, yet tout their C43 as a true AMG...which is incredibly ironic considering the 45 has a handmade engine whereas the C43 is a repackaged C400 or C450

Now, the CLA most definitely has some shortcomings but overall its not nearly as "horrible" as people say. There is more plastic in a CLA compared to a C, but at the end of the day it is still a Mercedes.

Registered
honestly, who cares... as long as you're enjoying it.

Reactions: Meezus

Registered
When the CLA first came out it was honestly a subpar car, it lacked features that most non luxury brands had as standards and also it being the first fwd mercedes. Most of the issues were addressed in the 2017-2019 mini refresh and improved it into a car deserving of the badge.The people on reddit still think of the 2013 CLA whenever it gets brought up and almost all of them have never driven it and are just talking out their ass. Compared to the C-Class the CLA is comparable in performance, they both use similar engines (M274 vs M270) the main diff is how they are orientated in the engine bay. Having driven both the C and CLA, I prefer the CLA for more spirited drives. The 7-DCT compared to 9G-TRONIC feels sportier, the engine is louder (even without the fake engine sound) and the car feels more agile due to being 300+ pounds lighter. Handling in the CLA also feels much better, the C-Class steering wheel feels too light even in Sport/Sport+. After the 2020 refresh the CLA is on the same level if not better than the C if ride quality isn't that big of an issue for you.

Registered
If we made our choices based on what others think, we'd all be driving SUVs or pickup trucks.

And they'd all be in black and white or shades in between.

We'd also be using them to drive through McDonald's, Starbucks, and Chick-fil-A.

Registered
i like the 117 CLA much better than the C on subjective styling of exterior and interior.
to me most new benz interiors are just glitzy and that console pad thing is horrid.
i'll take my one neat dial and 3 handy cupholders for storage.
as far as cheapness i've got no prob with the materials and fit/finish in my sport plus version.
alcantara inserts same as top end german sports cars, mb tex is durable substitute for leather
the sport seats with ambients get compliments from everyone (except my spouse who has to crank the manual passenger side) and the center stack is identical to her G63, actually better, as i have the bigger screen.
i got a 16 because i favored the older sport trim, wanted the updated dynamic settings and i like the silver gauges.
as stated above it handles and steers better than a C and this drivetrain is tuned best for M mode, found in the I* settings. needed to downsize my life a bit.i came out of a bmw 7 a different vibe altogether. the ride in this version is a bit jumpy but hate is undeserved. you just have to know the car for what it is,
a sporty and unique ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone,,
I have test drove the car a few times and played around with it, and I honestly think it's pretty nice. It drives fine, the interior is nice (not as nice as C-Class but its still pretty nice), and the exterior looks amazing. I love the taillights and the aggressive look on the front with the AMG exterior.
But when I read around reddit about the CLA250, it gets so much hate. I understand that it is lower quality than any of the other mercedes, but it is also a cheaper car. Comparing to the C300, for a $8k price difference I think the difference in quality is fair openweb.vip/whatsapp-web/ https://19216801.onl/ routerlogin.uno/. But based on what I have read on reddit, it seems like if C300 is a $40k car, people are treating the CLA250 like it is a $20k car or worse. Is there something I am missing? Is there something terrible about the CLA that I don't know about yet? I'm looking to buy one soon and I want to make sure I'm not making a horrible decision.
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

Registered
Imagine buying a 鈥減roper Mercedes鈥 for 70k plus and then a bloke buys a cla and gets the same brand recognition from normal people with comparable features. Also most people who hate haven鈥檛 driven a cla or have a inferiority complex. Most of the enthusiasts look at the price but fail to realize due to how aggressive the cla looks most normal people think it鈥檚 worth more.

Registered
I think the CLA gets a lot of hate because of it's polarizing looks and the entry level price point. Most badge snobs are particular about brand dilution. That being said, Mercedes chose to build the CLA as a gateway drug and they are all the better for it.

As for the debate between the W205 C class and C117 CLA...it's never-ending. Most people choose to vehemently defend whatever they spent money on. The W205 was definitely built to be a step up from the C117. It has a more premium interior and higher base horsepower in all variants. Jury is out on looks as most comments against the C117 say it looks like it's melting, and that the W205 looks like a beluga whale. I will say, however, the W205 is absolute trash when it comes to tire integrity. Some models, like the C43 and above, have negative camber that absolutely destroys any set of tires. In addition to that, drivetrain vibration is an issue with a number of W205's as well. IMHO, the C class is a great lease car (as long as you buy the right warranties), but I think the CLA is probably a better long term purchase.

Registered
oh my gosh dont even bring up the c43 axle vibration headaches, right? :p
unfortunately now the c118 and w205 are getting more and more similar in terms of tactile control elements which for me i dont really like ... too plasticy
the c117 with all its good and bad should remain a classic reference when the time comes down the road ... when all those tablet class displays go nuts
i will always like my dial gauges :cool:

Registered
oh my gosh dont even bring up the c43 axle vibration headaches, right? :p
unfortunately now the c118 and w205 are getting more and more similar in terms of tactile control elements which for me i dont really like ... too plasticy
the c117 with all its good and bad should remain a classic reference when the time comes down the road ... when all those tablet class displays go nuts
i will always like my dial gauges :cool:
I don't know why, but BMW owner's wanna try and run you off the road for some reason.
Before I bought mine I always said they drive like their ass is on fire.
My friend says mine looks like a old lady car. The reason he says that is:
1. He only likes Toyota and the new Corvette he just bought.
2. He is ignorant
3. He only like Toyota... oh did I just say that?

Registered
I don't know why, but BMW owner's wanna try and run you off the road for some reason.
Before I bought mine I always said they drive like their ass is on fire.
weird right? getting more aggressive vibes from people now. i think its the gearbox actually.
as our cars are not noted to be quick 0-60, one has to work the paddles to get some giddyap for hiway passing.
i guess it looks and sounds more racer boy esp with plus pkge, and some others take it the wrong way?
my prev bmw 7 and other big cars just got up to speed smoother and relatively quietly.

Registered
....yes it's like I see them in my rearview if I am zipping through traffic punching it to move quickly and they are like they want to challenge me (I know I can't outrun a 318i so why try)
but I can screw with them and back off..... it just makes them look bad I guess.

Registered
The new vette does pack a serious punch and giving porsche a run for their money

Registered
Douchebag drivers will still be douchebags regardless of what you drive. Even in my C43, every boy racer in a 328i, C300, and A4 wants to show what their car has going for it. You learn to ignore it because it's frankly not worth the gas. The CLA250 may not be the quickest off the line, but I can attest via butt dyno that at highway speeds passing power is pretty darn close to a C43.

Registered
... ever watch the speedo needle rotation rate between 100 and 150?
kinda scarey ... have to let go the accelerator past 130 else it seems to wanna peg it ... geee :p
i know ... what speed limiter? must be the darn piggy thingie

Registered
Douchebag drivers will still be douchebags regardless of what you drive. Even in my C43, every boy racer in a 328i, C300, and A4 wants to show what their car has going for it. You learn to ignore it because it's frankly not worth the gas. The CLA250 may not be the quickest off the line, but I can attest via butt dyno that at highway speeds passing power is pretty darn close to a C43.
You are correct they hated my Prius I owned previously. Some reason they got as close as they could to my rear. Take off with the electric was awesome from a dead stop getting away from em though.

Registered
You are correct they hated my Prius I owned previously. Some reason they got as close as they could to my rear. Take off with the electric was awesome from a dead stop getting away from em though.
lol everyone hates the Prius.
get out of the left lane for cryin out tears!

Registered
ha! no I drove it pedal to
HA!
No I drove it pedal to the metal in power mode and zips around no problem. Have you ever heard of Prius envy? People can't stand the fact that I could get over 50mpg in town and are able to zip around so they want show you who's boss.
Never drove in the fast lane only when I went around "slow" cars.
I never had a single thing go wrong with that car. After retirement It was a bore to drive, and after 9 years I was ready for a change besides don't fight the daily traffic any more.
It served it's purpose in the Houston traffic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts