·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Wagon wheel pasta concept
Just visited an old student at JPL and checked out the wheels on their Mars2020 system ... all sorts of cool stuff for those too.
Anyway ...
For these new “tires” they dont have the continuous sidewall so wonder how they will combat very high torque shearing at the spoke/tread joint, which e-cars will certainly generate

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The actual tread depth is next to nothing, I wonder if the new rubber polymer compounds will enable long wear times.

And as pointed out, how does this apply to high performance sports sedans, that take high speed cornering?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
My guess is these will be prime for autonomous cars which will have specific movement programs / vehicle spacing / etc so the traffic flow is consistent which means hopefully there will be no need for unnecessary braking and accelerating moves so the wagon wheels will do just fine
Some may recall the baby electric go karts with those solid plastic wheels? held up pretty well despite all the abuse us kids put them through ... >:cool:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
ive been seening lawn tractors with these wheels recently! they look interesting.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Got a few questions of my own....
How does airflow affect stability during high speeds?
What about debris getting lodged between the strands?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts