Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just curious how much you have been quoted (either through MB or external sources) to have the CLA tinted. I was told that the rear windows come pre-tinted and only the front need to be done.

I have been quoted around $300 by one dealer, $395 by anther dealer which is where I had my order initially, and currently another dealer tried the $2400+ car protection scam with $695 for windows timing only. I told them I had been quoted less by others and they dropped the price to $495. I generally try and get the tinting done by the dealer as any damage to the door trim etc is their issue and they can't turn around and reject any warranty issues with the door/trim/windows.

Can anyone recommend a PROFESSIONAL tinter in Melbourne (preferably someone that has done the CLA or does work for dealers). Also, I wanted to find out what others have been quoted.

Cheers

Note that this is a thread for tinting in AUSTRALIA. Not US/UK/Europe etc... :big smile:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't know about the CLA and if they are different to other cars, but I had my golf gti and daughters Audi B6 done for $250 each from a professional window tinted in Adelaide. He did a great job. Not sure about cla200 and 250, but cla45 should only need front done, shouldn't be more than $100.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The rear windows are privacy tint only. That is, they provide no UV protection. I got the rear windows tinted with a clear UV tint and the front with 20 grade tint to try and blend it in with the rear tint. Cost me $325 through the books so I am sure you can get it cheaper for a cash job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A mate of mine took his CLA200 to Tint Professor and they told him he has to get the tint done by Mercedes Benz because of some panel in the door that may take the tint off. Any idea whats this all about?

He quoted him $250 for front two windows, but couldn't guarantee that it won't come off..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Regarding the panel in the door "that may take the tint off", no - it's not a "panel". The Window seal needs to be felted against the inside of the window in Mercedes vehicles. Otherwise your tint will be rubbed off/scratched. Seen it a ton of times... just have it done. The CLA may be different (I don't do the tinting at my shop to know what seals are so abusive and what seals aren't) but I had the felt done and I'm happy I did. Every C250 that we've had to repair the tint on from some other tint guy that didn't know that didn't have felt had rubbed off or scratched tint, FYI.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Regarding the panel in the door "that may take the tint off", no - it's not a "panel". The Window seal needs to be felted against the inside of the window in Mercedes vehicles. Otherwise your tint will be rubbed off/scratched. Seen it a ton of times... just have it done. The CLA may be different (I don't do the tinting at my shop to know what seals are so abusive and what seals aren't) but I had the felt done and I'm happy I did. Every C250 that we've had to repair the tint on from some other tint guy that didn't know that didn't have felt had rubbed off or scratched tint, FYI.
that's true for late 90s and early 00s MB models...
w203, w220, etc had tint scratching issues...
w204 and newer models don't have this problem...

·
Registered
479 Posts
that's true for late 90s and early 00s MB models...
w203, w220, etc had tint scratching issues...
w204 and newer models don't have this problem...
Okay. Well... than the 3 current generation C250s and 2012 E-class that came in with scratched tint in perfect vertical lines done by another tint shop that didn't use felt must have been from their cats... ;) . Could have been crappy tint or 4 cases of abrasive material being stuck in the seal, could be extremely rare and just a fluke... I did the felt to avoid any chance of that considering 3M tin't ain't cheap, even with my discount, and I recommend to everyone to have it done. Not everyone does because it costs more money and I'm sure they're all going to be fine... but, what, $30 for the felt install isn't a deal breaker and nice piece of mind (of course... that's what they say about extended warranties that you never use, hahaha). And the tint guy isn't going to make any extra profit putting it on - it's actually more risk and more time for him/her with a negligible (if any) additional profit. At least we wouldn't sell it unless, in the shop's experience, it was proven necessary because it adds time to the job that could be used for another full job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
so if the felt is standard on the CLA that means the tin will not get scratched?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Don't know about the CLA and if they are different to other cars, but I had my golf gti and daughters Audi B6 done for $250 each from a professional window tinted in Adelaide. He did a great job. Not sure about cla200 and 250, but cla45 should only need front done, shouldn't be more than $100.
No factory tint on US CLA45s... so we need to tint 5 windows

·
Registered
479 Posts
Felt is applied to the inner window seal. Tint guy did not remove the panel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Felt is applied to the inner window seal. Tint guy did not remove the panel.
makes perfect sense thanks.. i think il go to another tint guy..

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Australian Spec Sheet states that you get "tinted glass all round" as part of the CLA 200 standard inclusions. However, packages like the Night Styling Package and AMG Line mention "Dark-Tinted Privacy glass from B-pillar to rear". Haven't got my car yet but does this mean all the windows are tinted but the rear windows are just darker? If so, how much should I be expecting to pay at the dealer / can anyone recommend a good tinter in Sydney?

·
Registered
188 Posts
you are right on the specs

The 250 gets the dark tinted privacy glass included for back windows, all windows on 200 are tinted as far as I can see, looked at one in the dealers yard today

the tinting glass looks quite tinted to me and the privacy glass is non-see thru, quite a black and noticeable difference to front windows

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a CLA and had to get the tint redone after a week. I bought Tint Protector moleskin Felt and haven't had an issue since. I emailed them about putting together a kit for the CLA and they said it was in the works. I bought the Universal kit and had no issues. Love this car!

Now I just want MB to update the DCT software. The shifts are not smooth enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car Detailers in Perth

If you want a money back guarantee and can talk to the staff because they are very accommodating, then you should try going to https://tintmywindowsperth.com.au/. They have been my go to tinting service for 3 years now, and I haven't regret a single thing. You should approach them and ask for a quote.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts