Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I just purchased my CLA 250 this spring and now winter is almost here. I was wondering if any of you guys have driven the CLA 250 in the northern winter states/ Canada? How does it drive at couple inches of snow, 1 foot? possibly 2 feet?

I will be getting a set of new winter tires and rims but just curious to see how the car drives even with those, especially knowing how low the car is.

I will also be downsizing the rims from 18s to 17s so the tires at least get a little more meat.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, info, experiences.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Living in north/central VT. I don't suggest relying on all season radials in the winter. My CLA 4Matic did fine with Blizzaks (non run flat).

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Living in north/central VT. I don't suggest relying on all season radials in the winter. My CLA 4Matic did fine with Blizzaks (non run flat).
Its quite the sight to see all these expensive sports cars dead on the side of the road when a sudden cold spell befalls an otherwise temperate zone ... and the drivers forget their tire compounds disintegrate on really cold roads.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Granted Vancouver has milder winters as compared to other parts of Canada, we did get a few inches of snow in the area where I lived, and the CLA 4matic with all-seasons Pirelli P7 Cinturatos, performed great. No issues with traction, when driven prudently of course.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a CLA45 and my car was an absolute beast in the snow. Better than the Evo X i had. No one believes me but it really handled much the snow much better than the Evo in my opinion.

I just used All seasons and was good to go

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 4matic CLA250 is a great winter driver for Toronto. Yes, admittedly the car is low so you will probably be a little uncomfortable driving through 3-4 inches of un-plowed snow. That's only because you probably don't want to chunk your front lip on anything and not because you're afraid you'll lose too much traction. I swapped to 17 inch winter rims and sottozero's in winter.

·
Administrator
1,840 Posts
The 4matic CLA250 is a great winter driver for Toronto. Yes, admittedly the car is low so you will probably be a little uncomfortable driving through 3-4 inches of un-plowed snow. That's only because you probably don't want to chunk your front lip on anything and not because you're afraid you'll lose too much traction. I swapped to 17 inch winter rims and sottozero's in winter.
I drove 3 winters with mine... I hit a fews good chunk of snow/ice and the front lip have no damage at all, this is very strong !

It is actually fun to drive in fews inch of snow on the road ! :p

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
I drove 3 winters with mine... I hit a fews good chunk of snow/ice and the front lip have no damage at all, this is very strong !
It is actually fun to drive in fews inch of snow on the road ! :p
Well ... there's your "buckets of ice in front of the intercooler" trick we talked about in that other thread ... :cool:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
How is the cla amg 35 2022 Handle in the snow
Suggest:
a) Review the video in Comment #11
b) Consider the ground clearance as it relates to snowfall & plowing in your area.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
As pointed out by many members here, the ride of the CLA whether equipped with sport package or not, is fairly low that makes winter driving potentially problematic, especially with snow up to 6 inches thick. Otherwise, the 4matic (with proper all seasons or snow tires) is fairly competent to get you around with minimal issue on light snow conditions.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
How often do people drive on snow over 6 inches thick? Do you not get your roads plowed? lol
Not where we are in Vancouver, and where I am in the city of coquitlam. You may think it's funny and unheard of, but in BC, some places do not get the snow ploughed efficiently.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Not where we are in Vancouver, and where I am in the city of coquitlam. You may think it's funny and unheard of, but in BC, some places do not get the snow ploughed efficiently.
We are not Ontario, where snow gets ploughed efficiently. In BC, unless you are in downtown Vancouver, but in the city suburbs and the rural areas, where we have very few snow plough trucks, sometimes have to wait for hours for the snow plough to come up to some communities (located on mountains and hilltops), and by that time, snow does accumulate to more than six inches.
I still remember, in early 2000's, I was driving back home my home on a mountain top community, in my RDX, and the snow was at least 12-15 inches thick. It was chaos on the road. Thankfully, my RDX was up to the job to take me home safely up the mountain road.

So Crester, yes, it really does happen that snow gets more than six inches thick, not in your province, but certainly in BC.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
oh cry me even in sunny socal we had snow and it was so funny no one went to work that day
what a bunch of wimps scared of a few inches of snow
well almost no one went

1 - 20 of 21 Posts