Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's been lots of discussion in multiple threads as to what people in Northerly climes are considering to do about their Summer tires (which come by default on the 18" AMG wheels). Some people who don't get much snow & ice are switching to All Season tires on their 18" wheels. Those of us who get genuine winter weather though are likely going to go with snow tires, and that gets one into decisions about whether to put the snows on your 18" AMG wheels or buy after-market wheels. So I'm starting this thread as a place for members to weigh in on what they have decided for their own car's winter tire setup.

I'll start: Living in Upstate New York where we get 60 - 90 inches of snow each winter, and also being an avid skiier who generally skis nearly every week, I will definitely go with dedicated snow tires. That leaves the decision as whether to stay with the 18" AMG wheels and change tires each season or get a second set of wheels for the snows (also, whether to get 17" wheels for the snows). At first I was drawn to the thought of dedicated wheels, however, there is also the cost of adding TPMS sensors to those new wheels (over $250). In addition, I have always just changed tires on the same wheels on previous cars and never had any problems with the tire service in terms of the wheels getting marked up, nor in having the winter weather do a job on my wheels. Therefore, I decided I would get snows to fit my AMG 18" wheels and bring the new tires to my dealer around the time of my car's delivery (sched. for Dec.) and have the dealer switch the tires during the car's prep.
-

After reviewing tire choices on TireRack.com, reading the various reviews, checking the status of my savings, etc., I have chosen the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires in the 225/40R18 size. The X-Ice was the number one snow tire in survey results and was the number one tire in a four-way winter tire test done by Tire Rack. Yes, the tires are NOT Run-Flat tires, but I'm buying a "Slime 70005 Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System" from Amazon for $39. The Slime kit has a 12 volt pump which you can use with or without the Slime goop going into the tire.

The Michelin X-Ice tires are $204 each making a set of 4 tires $816. But wait, there's more: if you purchase 4 tires before Nov. 30th, you get a $70 Master Card rebate via the mail, making the final cost $746, plus shipping. In my case, shipping from their Connecticut warehouse runs about $53.

So, that's my winter tire solution. I invite you to add to this thread with yours.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My car should be here by May, I live on Long Island and don't get anywhere near as much snow as Alex does. But I went with a dedicated winter set up for my current ride and I will do the same for the 45. I currently run Pirelli Sottozeros , performance winter tire. Excellent tire in dry, wet, ice or snow. Zero issues with them, so I'll be leaning towards them for the 45.

My only debate now is, I ordered the 19" AMG wheels but if enough 19" aftermarket wheel options come out before my build, I may forgo the 19" AMG wheels, get the stock 18" and put snows on them. This option allows me to run a nicer, different set up in the warmer months. Otherwise I would be running a nicer, different set up in winter months. Decisions. Opinions are welcomed.

Great thread Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only debate now is, I ordered the 19" AMG wheels but if enough 19" aftermarket wheel options come out before my build, I may forgo the 19" AMG wheels, get the stock 18" and put snows on them. This option allows me to run a nicer, different set up in the warmer months. Otherwise I would be running a nicer, different set up in winter months. Decisions. Opinions are welcomed.
Nice choices which work well for you, John. If I was going as you are, I would put my summer tires on the "nicer wheels" also, since 3 seasons last longer than winter.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Nice choices which work well for you, John. If I was going as you are, I would put my summer tires on the "nicer wheels" also, since 3 seasons last longer than winter.
Bad choice of words by me "nicer wheels" I know. What I mean to say is different look vs stock vs 19" AMG wheel. Just have to wait for aftermarket options to open up. Thanks for helping Alex.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a set of Blizzaks I use on my 350Z here in Iowa, but they're 225/45R18's (They're close, will they fit on the CLA if I find aftermarket rims?), I'm leaning towards keeping those tires as they have a lot of life on them, and buy a set of "Basic" rims that fit the CLA45 brake package. Does anyone know what the bolt pattern and offsets are for the CLA45AMG wheels or is Tirerack ready to go with options? Maybe I'll luck out and my factory Nissan rims will fit? ; )

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have a set of Blizzaks I use on my 350Z here in Iowa, but they're 225/45R18's (They're close, will they fit on the CLA if I find aftermarket rims?), I'm leaning towards keeping those tires as they have a lot of life on them, and buy a set of "Basic" rims that fit the CLA45 brake package. Does anyone know what the bolt pattern and offsets are for the CLA45AMG wheels or is Tirerack ready to go with options? Maybe I'll luck out and my factory Nissan rims will fit? ; )
Bolt pattern idk yet. Offset is +48. Eric has posted the MB recommended sizes for summer/winter. I'm sure he'll post that in here again for us and that should give you an idea if you can use your Blizzaks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bolt patter is 5 x 112 and Tire Rack now has plenty of wheel choices available
I went with the 225/45/18s also, should fit.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing more to note: the Blizack 225/45 tires have a travel distance of about 803 revolutions per mile while the stock summer tires in 225/40 go about 830 revs per mile. That means your odometer and speedometer will be off a bit (about 3% or so on the low side). When the odo says you went a mile, you will actually have gone 3.25% farther.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks Joe and Alex.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed my winter tires today. I went with a cheap set of gloss black 18" rims off of Ebay. They're winter rims, so I didn't want to buy anything special to have them get ruined. I ended up buying the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT's for tires. They ranked 2nd in it's category on tirerack.com and had really great reviews. I've never run these snow tires before, so we'll see how I like them. I also went with a 225/45/18 tire profile, I know this is going to throw my speedo off by approximately 3% so that isn't too bad, but I wanted to run a little taller of a sidewall to cut through the snow a bit better and cushion the more prevalent pot holes.

Fall03 sm.jpg Fall04 sm.jpg Fall05 BW sm.jpg

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I installed my winter tires today. I went with a cheap set of gloss black 18" rims off of Ebay. They're winter rims, so I didn't want to buy anything special to have them get ruined. I ended up buying the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT's for tires. They ranked 2nd in it's category on tirerack.com and had really great reviews. I've never run these snow tires before, so we'll see how I like them. I also went with a 225/45/18 tire profile, I know this is going to throw my speedo off by approximately 3% so that isn't too bad, but I wanted to run a little taller of a sidewall to cut through the snow a bit better and cushion the more prevalent pot holes.

View attachment 3228 View attachment 3229 View attachment 3230
Very nice. What are the specs for the wheels ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice. What are the specs for the wheels ?

The rims are 18x8" with 35 mm offset. They also had a 73.1 mm center bore so I had to get some hub centric rings to fit the 66.6 mm hub on the car. The rims sit just about flush with the fenders now.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The rims are 18x8" with 35 mm offset. They also had a 73.1 mm center bore so I had to get some hub centric rings to fit the 66.6 mm hub on the car. The rims sit just about flush with the fenders now.
They look great. So it's 5X112 with 66,6 CB. Thanks for the info. Nice flush fitment and very lil gap. Well done. Best of luck with your ride.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They look good on your car. Did you also include TPMS sensors on those wheels?

·
Registered
44 Posts
They look great. So it's 5X112 with 66,6 CB. Thanks for the info. Nice flush fitment and very lil gap. Well done. Best of luck with your ride.

The stock rims have a 66.6 CB but these rims had a 73.1 Center Bore. The weather's still a little warm right now so the tires are a little bit sticky, but they should harden up a bit in the colder weather soon.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The stock rims have a 66.6 CB but these rims had a 73.1 Center Bore. The weather's still a little warm right now so the tires are a little bit sticky, but they should harden up a bit in the colder weather soon.
Yeah I got you on CB. I was referring to MB CB being 66.6, that I didn't know for sure of. But thanks to you I do. +35 offset seems perfect on a 8" wide wheel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They look good on your car. Did you also include TPMS sensors on those wheels?
I didn't end up putting TPMS in the wheels, I figured it wasn't worth the $135 a sensor the dealership quoted me for. It's only going to be for a few months that I'll have the warning pop up, not a big deal for me now. Also, I've driven the car a couple miles so far with the new rims and the warning light has yet to pop up, kind of strange. I figured it would have popped up as soon as I started the car. It's a good thing the tires weren't flat or I wouldn't have known lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I got you on CB. I was referring to MB CB being 66.6, that I didn't know for sure of. But thanks to you I do. +35 offset seems perfect on a 8" wide wheel.

Alright cool, just making sure. The +35 offset is a great fit for the 8" rim, just the fitment I was hoping for! If the car was lower, the lip of the rim would sit just barely inside the fender.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I didn't end up putting TPMS in the wheels, I figured it wasn't worth the $135 a sensor the dealership quoted me for. It's only going to be for a few months that I'll have the warning pop up, not a big deal for me now. Also, I've driven the car a couple miles so far with the new rims and the warning light has yet to pop up, kind of strange. I figured it would have popped up as soon as I started the car. It's a good thing the tires weren't flat or I wouldn't have known lol
That's good to know, might not have to go with tpms after all. Do you know for sure that tpms is inside of stock wheels. Or could they be doing what Audi does and have it hooked into the hub/abs system?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts