Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I wanted to start a thread for people looking to buy an aftermarket set of winter rims/tires for their CLA.

Do we know the bolt pattern of the CLA yet? I am going to assume 5/112 Can anyone confirm?

Also, feel free to post up what wheels you are looking to get. Being a winter wheel, it does not have to be a top brand necessarily! My personal budget is under $2000 for a set.

Here is my current choice:

Sparco Pista 18" at $159 each

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

WS70 at $176 a tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...autoYear=2014&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

This comes out to $1350 + shipping of $500 for me in Canada. Total about $1850

What are your guys choices? Post them up!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey guys.

I wanted to start a thread for people looking to buy an aftermarket set of winter rims/tires for their CLA.

Do we know the bolt pattern of the CLA yet? I am going to assume 5/112 Can anyone confirm?

Also, feel free to post up what wheels you are looking to get. Being a winter wheel, it does not have to be a top brand necessarily! My personal budget is under $2000 for a set.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

WS70 at $176 a tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...autoYear=2014&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

Yeah I just saw an ad banner on the top of the page before, USA Rims I believe. They had a bunch of wheels, and the majority were priced at $679.00 . Now I don't know the quality of the wheel, but it did say "lifetime structural warranty"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey guys.

WS70 at $176 a tire

Yes, pattern is 5/112, but size is

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app 18x7.5 and not 18x8 I believe...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, pattern is 5/112, but size is

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app 18x7.5 and not 18x8 I believe...

Oh i see! I dont think it should be too big a deal. You can run a 18/8 no problem. Tire will have a little bit of stretch.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi, does anyone know if the Canadian CLA 250 has TPMS on them?
I was told when asked by my dealer there is no TPMS sensor inside. ESP will detect a faulty tire pressure by the way the car will handle itself

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi, does anyone know if the Canadian CLA 250 has TPMS on them?
From what I've read the ..
Canadian cars get a TPLS Tire Pressure Loss System that infers you have a pressure loss by recognizing that the tire is running faster (due to a smaller radius)
The US cars get a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring system that has a transducer inside the tire that transmits a pressure to the instruments and you can tell the exact pressure in the tire.

·
Registered
302 Posts
From what I've read the ..
Canadian cars get a TPLS Tire Pressure Loss System that infers you have a pressure loss by recognizing that the tire is running faster (due to a smaller radius)
The US cars get a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring system that has a transducer inside the tire that transmits a pressure to the instruments and you can tell the exact pressure in the tire.
So it is confirmed by your reading

Canada no sensor as ESP will detect

USA with sensors

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
302 Posts
So look what I found in operator manual, USA version.

ImageUploadedByMercedes CLA Forum1384701448.464731.jpg

Why isn't winter tires same size?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So look what I found in operator manual, USA version.

View attachment 3636

Why isn't winter tires same size?

Tire experts recommend getting snow tires in narrower widths because they cut thru snow on the road better and are less likely to have their treads clog up with the snow.

Sent from my iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tire experts recommend getting snow tires in narrower widths because they cut thru snow on the road better and are less likely to have their treads clog up with the snow.

Thk

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Fiji,

If you've got the sports package you've got at least a few options:

1) Buy a set of winter tires in the same size as your summers to swap out on the existing rims.
2) Buy a set of winter tires with a slightly larger side wall and narrower footprint (215/45 R18 - which should fit onto your 18x7.5" wheels. This is one of two winter tire sizes recommended for the CLA45 in the owner's manual)
3) Buy a set of 17" winter tires and rims (205/50 R17 - which is the recommended set-up for the CLA250 in the owners manual).

I believe any and all of the above options are absolutely fine. Do what's right for your budget and convenience. I would also call Tire Rack and see what other thoughts they might have on fitment, etc.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
hello all:
I have CLA250 sports pkg. If I want to get winter tires, do I still get 225/40R18 ?
There is a "sticky thread" in the CLA wheels& Tires sub-Forum covering this exact issue and what various members decided to do for their car. Take a look there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fiji,

If you've got the sports package you've got at least a few options:

1) Buy a set of winter tires in the same size as your summers to swap out on the existing rims.
2) Buy a set of winter tires with a slightly larger side wall and narrower footprint (215/45 R18 - which should fit onto your 18x7.5" wheels. This is one of two winter tire sizes recommended for the CLA45 in the owner's manual)
3) Buy a set of 17" winter tires and rims (205/50 R17 - which is the recommended set-up for the CLA250 in the owners manual).

I believe any and all of the above options are absolutely fine. Do what's right for your budget and convenience. I would also call Tire Rack and see what other thoughts they might have on fitment, etc.

-Eric
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the guidance. I have few questions if you don't mind answering...
As you mentioned and the manual states that recommended winter tires are 205/50/R17. I looked at tirerack and found the tires but when I search for 17" rims, I find ones that states recommended for 225/45/17. For example, this one

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=TU75750B74B&wheelMake=Anzio&wheelModel=Turn&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=CLA250&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Base+Model&filterFinish=Black&filterSize=17&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

In that case, would 205/50/17 work with these rims. I can't seem to find rims that will fit that size. Also, do you think there is a high risk in getting 225/40/18 winter tires (same as summer size). I live in central new jersey so winter does get little harsh.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I called USARIMS and they said that the MBZ 610-18, 540-18, and 615-18 rims will fit the Cla 45. They also can mount snow tires and the pressure monitor also.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Fiji,

I'm always happy to help so here are my tryptophan filled $.02:

The manual says that the standard 205/50 R17 belongs on a 17x6.5" rim...not a 7.5" wide rim. That's why you're encountering a discrepancy. A 7.5" rim would require a tire with a wider footprint which is why TR is recommending cars with 225mm.

Remember, Mercedes is going to recommend the thinnest tire it can because that's the best tire for the snow. The real world, however, also has you driving in Central Jersey on a lot of cold dry days in the Winter. A 205 series tire means you give up the wider footprint of the 225 series tires that would offer you some greater grip! Everything has a trade-off. Winter tires handle a lot differently than Summer tires. Even in dry weather you'll notice that your braking distances increase and that your cornering speed limits are lower. Compound that with a thinner footprint and you performance further deteriorates.

I'm not a tire expert so take my opinion for what it is. To answer your question of whether I think you should be concerned if you buy tires to fit the 18x7.5" wheels that are on your car? No, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Remember, because the CLA45 has bigger brakes, a 17" tire won't even fit on the 45. Consider that a CLA45 owner doesn't even have the option to purchase a 17" wheel let alone one that is 7.5" wide. The smallest rim recommended by MB for the 45 is 18x8! In fact, A 225 series tires is 10mm narrower than the tire size Mercedes recommends for the CLA45! A 225 series tire isn't unreasonably wide -- it fits on a 7.5" wide rim.

FWIW, I live North of you along the coastline in CT so our weather is somewhat comparable.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Fiji,

The manual says that the standard 205/50 R17 belongs on a 17x6.5" rim...not a 7.5" wide rim. That's why you're encountering a discrepancy. A 7.5" rim would require a tire with a wider footprint which is why TR is recommending 225mm tires.

Remember, Mercedes is going to recommend the thinnest tire it can because that's the best tire for the snow. The real world, however, also has you driving in Central Jersey on a lot of cold dry days in the Winter. A 205 series tire means you give up the wider footprint of the 225 series tires that would offer you some greater grip! Everything has a trade-off. Winter tires handle a lot differently than Summer tires. Even in dry weather you'll notice that your braking distances increase and that your cornering speed limits are lower. Compound that with a thinner footprint and your car's performance further deteriorates.

I'm not a tire expert so take my opinion for what it is. To answer your question of whether I think you should be concerned if you buy tires to fit the 18x7.5" wheels that are on your car? No, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Consider that a CLA45 owner doesn't even have the option to purchase a 17" wheel let alone one that is 7.5" wide. The smallest rim recommended by MB for the 45 is 18x8! In fact, A 225 series tires is 10mm narrower than the tire size Mercedes recommends for the CLA45! A 225 series tire isn't unreasonably wide -- it fits on a 7.5" wide rim.

FWIW, I live North of you along the coastline in CT so our weather is somewhat comparable.

-Eric

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the info Eric. I take that all that applies to CLA250 Sports as well... Since I don't have CLA45 :(

Fiji,

The manual says that the standard 205/50 R17 belongs on a 17x6.5" rim...not a 7.5" wide rim. That's why you're encountering a discrepancy. A 7.5" rim would require a tire with a wider footprint which is why TR is recommending 225mm tires.

Remember, Mercedes is going to recommend the thinnest tire it can because that's the best tire for the snow. The real world, however, also has you driving in Central Jersey on a lot of cold dry days in the Winter. A 205 series tire means you give up the wider footprint of the 225 series tires that would offer you some greater grip! Everything has a trade-off. Winter tires handle a lot differently than Summer tires. Even in dry weather you'll notice that your braking distances increase and that your cornering speed limits are lower. Compound that with a thinner footprint and your car's performance further deteriorates.

I'm not a tire expert so take my opinion for what it is. To answer your question of whether I think you should be concerned if you buy tires to fit the 18x7.5" wheels that are on your car? No, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Consider that a CLA45 owner doesn't even have the option to purchase a 17" wheel let alone one that is 7.5" wide. The smallest rim recommended by MB for the 45 is 18x8! In fact, A 225 series tires is 10mm narrower than the tire size Mercedes recommends for the CLA45! A 225 series tire isn't unreasonably wide -- it fits on a 7.5" wide rim.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I was only referring to the 45 as an example of another model where the smallest snow tire option is actually slightly larger than on the 250. I don't see any reason why there would be different parameters for the 250 vs the 250 with Sport Pkg in the US since the suspension and brake setups are the same for the two cars. The Sport Pkg is only an aesthetic kit so whatever works for the 250 should fit for the 250 with Sport Pkg. MB doesn't differentiate between the two in the owners manual. The reason the 45 requires a larger wheel is likely because of the bigger brake calipers...possibly also the suspension.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts