Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to all this stuff but I have a concern that the new CLA is a bit childish. I have ordered a black CLA 45 with carbon package, 19" black rims, black RECARO seats and black wood. I have it loaded at about $71,000ish which is how much I spend on a car usually. I have owned E550's and CLS's in the past and when this new CLA 45 came out, I thought it would be a cool fast little car to own. After I have seen part 3 of the Cla project and read some of the forums I have noticed that the average age of people buying a CLA is 25-30. I am 53 and make around $500,000 a year. My clients are people that look at me and need to know I am serious and that I am successful or I won't get the business. My CLS and E550 have done this well but I am worried that the CLA is a bit juvenile. Is anyone else on the same page as me. Is there anyone who disagrees.
Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
With that income you could purchase a Ferrari and then you're customers will be begging for rides. I wish I had your dilemma.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worried CLA is for young adults

Hello, I am new to all this stuff but I have a concern that the new CLA is a bit childish. I have ordered a black CLA 45 with carbon package, 19" black rims, black RECARO seats and black wood. I have it loaded at about $71,000ish which is how much I spend on a car usually. I have owned E550's and CLS's in the past and when this new CLA 45 came out, I thought it would be a cool fast little car to own. After I have seen part 3 of the Cla project and read some of the forums I have noticed that the average age of people buying a CLA is 25-30. I am 53 and make around $500,000 a year. My clients are people that look at me and need to know I am serious and that I am successful or I won't get the business. My CLS and E550 have done this well but I am worried that the CLA is a bit juvenile. Is anyone else on the same page as me. Is there anyone who disagrees.

Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am 54, make slightly less than you, not much, and my clients too are people that look at me and need to know I am serious and successful. I recruit officers for private equity groups portfolio companies. If I miss the mark, many, many lives are affected. I dont think my clients will be bothered if I pick them up in a CLA.

While the ad is kind of silly, questioning if the CLA is for punks, is even sillier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 54, make slightly less than you, not much, and my clients too are people that look at me and need to know I am serious and successful. I recruit officers for private equity groups portfolio companies. If I miss the mark, many, many lives are affected. I dont think my clients will be bothered if I pick them up in a CLA.

While the ad is kind of silly, questioning if the CLA is for punks, is even sillier.
I understand that me using the word punks is a bit naive of me to say but may I ask what car you drive.
And for whoever said I could by a Ferrari, it's true but I don't believe that it is a good purchase. I have always wanted a 458 Italia but I need a fancy car for some clients but I can't have a super flashy car for others (Ferrari). My biggest concern is that my clients might look at me and think that I am not worth as much because they have seen ads saying that you can get a CLA 250 for under $40 grand. My dream car is the new S65 AMG but that car is to flashy. It's a sticky situation because every time I buy a car I am worried it will be to much or not enough. I have an Audi TT-RS and that is to flashy so it sits in the garage most of its life. ImageUploadedByMercedes CLA Forum1374857582.888212.jpg So my biggest question is what type of cars do you all drive now and what is your age.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm buying the AMG for its performance. The base CLA allows reasonably priced entry into a luxury car. The risk of public acceptance for the CLA will only be answered over time. In the past some entry level Mercedes and BMWs haven't made it with the buying public.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wish I could make 500k a year :) What is your profession? Care to take on an apprentice?

I don't think you need to worry what others think. You work hard and should be able to drive/own whatever you want to.
The CLA AMG is just a little sports car in your big garage full of other luxury vehicles.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a 2010 Mercedes 300. I am also a single dad/parent with 2 kids in college and have to write tuition checks 2x a year, so my monies go to other areas than my cars. I'm sure you will like your CLA 45.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could make 500k a year :) What is your profession? Care to take on an apprentice?

I don't think you need to worry what others think. You work hard and should be able to drive/own whatever you want to.
The CLA AMG is just a little sports car in your big garage full of other luxury vehicles.
I am a financial planner for my own company and clients are picky people. For instance, I am working with a popular music producer who is worth $27.8 million and I am worried about showing to his house with a car that starts at $30 grand. Than I have some clients who are your average retired couple and they might find a CLA a bit flashy because it looks like the concept car and has the AMG badge. See what I mean. I hate it and I would love to just drive a red Volkswagen beetle turbo with a black racing stripe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why not drive your other cars when you have to meet the clients? You can take the CLA around town when you don't have to meet them :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I dont think CLA is your type of car. If you have clients like that you need the rear space in the car to be comfortable. CLA has a lack of head room in the back.
If i was in your type of position I would consider a bigger car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have thought of that but my CLS has had some problems and it feels a bit flashy. It competes with Audi s7 and BMW 650xi gran coupe. Those are all cars that are real eye catchers. My e550 was sold 4 years ago. The cars I have now are my CLS 550, Audi TT RS, Mercedes Ml 63 AMG (my wife's car) jeep wrangler Sahara (my sons car). I love my wife's ml but she won't let me drive it. My TT isn't a practical car for business and its a bit of a hot shot car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I drive clients around I take my wife's ml and she drives my CLS but I don't usually drive clients around. I just go to there office or house even if it means flying there and getting a rental car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would think the CLA is a hot shot car like your current Audi TT is. If your worried about a juvenile look, you should not even consider a CLA45 AMG... its sort of a hot/luxury sports hatchback with a boot on it...
For a 500.000 salary, I think a C63 AMG, CL63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, E63 AMG or S63 AMG is more up your alley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am 44 and lead an industry group in a large professional firm. At this age I am still gunning for my CLA45. Nah I certainly do not think CLA is for punks. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am 47 and I have owned 1 SLK and 2 CLKs before. I am currently owning a R-class. I ordered the CLA250 because of it's handsome and sporty look. However, if you need to put your clients in the back seat, it may be an issue. :sad:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your clients are very shallow people if the kind of car you drive matters to them. I would drive a Lt. Columbo Peugeot 403 and see what happens ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The TT has the big spoiler and the big aggressive grill. I know the CLA has an aggressive front end but its a coupe sedan not a full on coupe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha. I think it's a stupid thing that I have to drive cars that my clients like but it's worth it because each client gives me about $50,000-$100,000 of income. I only get about 3-5 a year though.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts